Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Meiser rods with Saracione and Bauer reels
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up my first trout spey rod today! It casts great with an OPST Camando smooth.

I’m pretty pumped about this rod! Now I just need to figure out the trout game.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I’m growing to love mine as well, but it is a lot of rod for most trout - I hope you have some big ones where you are. :). I caught a few small ~ 20” Klamath Steelhead on it and almost felt overgunned.

In case you haven’t seen Simon Gawesworth’s blog post here is a link - it’s a pretty nice intro to this rod. In addition to the scandi vt I like the Nextcast WA35 330gr. Same exact niche of casting lightish sink tips, but very different feel on that rod.

Gear reviews

For your amusement there is also this of a guy landing a 22lb grand trevally on this rod. While this is WAY out of the recommended zone, smallish Steelhead of up to say 8 lbs would not be out totally out of bounds. I think a 3 lb GT would have been more than a match for that rod. :chuckle:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Another good line on this rod is the airflo switch floating line in 270 or 300gr. This Spey and over head casts very well and I use it with 10ft trout polyleaders. Good presentation and a one piece line which is good in my opinion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Other than the somewhat stiff MSRP, what's not to love about this rod?
And speaking of stiff, make no mistake, it's a 'beefy' 4wt - I've efficiently landed 5-7 lb steelhead and didn't feel even remotely under-gunned...

·
Registered
Meiser rods with Saracione and Bauer reels
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies! I put it to work today hucking streamers on the Yak. It’s a pretty-stout 4wt... I was Yarding 14-16” trout 🙂 it was still lots of fun!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Agreed on it's beefy-ness. It's a blast with Pinks from 2-6 lbs and some of the nicer bull trout we get locally as well. Super fun to cast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts