Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So I have a seemingly easy dilemma, but somehow I'm caught up on it. I have a chance to get an almost unused Sage 8139 (VT2), for under 300 dollars, warranty applying and all. I also know I can get a TFO (which most folks seem to like) or an Echo for a little less. Thats not the thing though, I've heard people really pump up the sages, and I'm almost conviced, but I guess I just want to hear it from some people who arent trying to sell them to me. Anyone have any experieces with these rods? Any opinions? Shortcomings? anything helps, also if anyone has experiences with the echos. I am planning on fishing a Rio 550 skagit line and 15 foot sinktips on any new rod I buy.
Thanks,
Will

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Spend the extra $50.00 and buy it!

Or don't and blow the $50.00 on an OK bottle of single malt.

Tough choice....................For me anyhow.......................

P.S. never cast either one, just speaking from experience.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
I love it

When people run out and buy this hi end stuff and then decide it ain't their bag and dump it. I'll take all I can get.:chuckle:

·
JD
3,641 Posts
'cuse me

beau purvis said:
So,JD,do you really call a VT2 hi end?maybe in performance.Sage will love you calling the $300 "value rod" high end!!!Beau
I haven't kept up on the latest greatest from all the big name makers. After all, when you got Meiser & Anderson in your back yard,,,,:razz:

·
♦♦♦♦
36 Posts
I have a 14' 9wt. TFO and just got the Sage VT2 13'9" 8wt. I really like the Sage. I have only fished it once but brought a couple of chum to hand. It has a med to faster action whereas the TFO is pretty soft. I guess it's all about what you like. For me, the Sage is the choice between the two.

·
Registered
477 Posts
70% of my speyrods are Sage's, Meizer's rodsmake up most of the rest - go with the best.(the few singlehanders I still own are all Sage's)
speydoc

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the delay in reporting. I fished the rod last monday on the Sky. It is freakin awesome!!! I dont have a heck of alot to compare it too, but I've cast a TFO and a St. Croix and it is much much sweeter. I was casting a 550 skagit line and a 15 foot type VI sinktip, and man that think can hum. Much faster than the old 8wt Gold N' West I was fishing before and ALOT lighter. It was really easy to fish it all day and deliver 100+ foot casts all day. I even had a grab as an added bonus. Cant wait for the natives to start trickling in so I can actually catch something on it :D

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have the VT2 8139 as well and like it a lot. It's just an all-around meat and potatoes Spey casting tool that can do a lot in the field. It likes short heads, Skagit lines, Scandis, mid-bellies and is fine working long bellies even the extended heads if the grains are right, although you'll strip a little of the fat stuff in when wading deep. No problem lifting and throwing tips around with it. It's a great all-around and as a four-pc it travels well for summer and winter fishing. It has a lot of power for such a light blank.

As an middle of the road / all-arounder it's not a specialized design thus not really distinct for one style or application or another, in other words I'd still choose other rods where the calling fits them as most practitioners will. Although it's a nice all-around Spey tool there is no such thing as a single design for all purposes in flyfishing. Looking at our rod racks, it's obvious we like it that way :)

For instance you'll get more feedback during the load from a rod designed that way or a snappier underhand response from another likewise, smoother long belly stroke from yet another rod.

I can't imagine myself ever replacing the cherries of the industry like the CND Solstice 13'4" 6/7 on certain rivers and runs whether I am pacific steelheading, GL tribs, or eastern salmon fishing. For covering big water Ian Gordon's 15ft cannon is my next acquisition for such ventures in 2007. But overall if you know how to cast this rod will do a whole lot at a good price point. It wouldn't be a bad rod to start out with either, since that usually includes exploring the spectrum of line designs.

One minor design complaint I have is that they stuck with the old butt design, which used to rub off black stuff on the bottom hand, gets into the cork of the lower handle too. Cleans off with rubbing alchohol and a paper towel easy enough.

I like it enough that it travels with me on most trips, summer or winter fishing. It may not always get first shift but it's always good to have in the wicker and gets its share of line strung thru the guides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts