Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant anybody decriebe to me the difference between the "old" and "new" 7136?
Having owned and fished the old brownie for maybe 8 years with lots of succes on Norwegian grilse (3-16 lbs) rivers , I have allways wished the rod had some additional tip-stifness. The brownie 7136 has a softish tip as I see it.
Please let me hear from "Greenie owners" : Are you happy with it, and which lines do you prefer?
I have used WF8F 444SL or Airflo 40+ no. 7 floater on the brownie.

Best regards,

SAR

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Are you overhead casting it? With those lines, I can't imagine much success spey casting with all due respect.

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7136 spey

Hey Juro.

Well, honestly I do allright speycasting - maybe I developed my own style, but I put out 20-25 yds of line with no space (rocks) behind me.
The 7136 is a toy - and I like playing. Big fish (10lbs+) means trouble - but a lot of fun.
And Juro, I have been trying to get my hands on some CND´s. Tried to reach you with no luck.
When are the speytrackers available in the US?

SAR

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
A generalization here.

Have both rods. The 'greenie' is a stiffer, more 'progressive' rod design. Where the 'brownie' has a very 'traditional' soft action, the green blanks progressive action makes for a light Euro rod.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Airflo 40+

Well, when I received my 1356 from Meiz, I had no lines to play with it except a few single hand lines and the Airflo 40+ 9 weight was it. That rod cranked out the line!! Let me say that spey casting it was a wonderful joy. I now use a Hardy Mach1 Plus 8/9 and evey now and again I resort back the Airflo.

As for the 7136, I had the brown blank. Great dry line but my casting with light tips went all to heck in a handbasket. I had good results; however, the casts were not pretty.

LoopHiTech

·
1,771 Posts
Steffen -

Sorry, I did not mean to come across the wrong way. I owned the 7136-4 brown for many years and found it to be lot of fun but very particular about loading. It cast very well from a certain point in the blank and with certain lines but I had a lot of trouble overhanding it. For that purpose the greenie would be much better IMHO, which is the reason behind my inquiry.

regards,
Juro

BTW - those salmon pics were very impressive! Maybe you don't need to change a thing! :)

·
1,771 Posts
Peter -

The two lines use a head length that is more than 20ft different... what is the proportion you are referring to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speying the Airflo 40+

The Airflo 40+ is shorthead indeed, but set up with a 14ft. intermediate poyleader + 3-4ft. of tippet does is for me.
Headweight of my Airflo is the same as my WF8F 444SL (385grain).

I build my rods myself. Try to get them as light as possible - corkbutt, skeleton reelseat, no trimming on whippings etc.

By the way: Any opinions on coatings on snakeguides? Are the new hard black coatings better than hardchrome?

Thanks Juro, Peter and Fred for responding.

Go Fishing!

·
1,771 Posts
You know after I posted that it dawned on me that the ratios of tapers might be what you were talking about. Thanks for the reply.

However, making a d-loop with a 30 ft head on a 13.5' rod is not the most comfortable thing, the line head is just over 2x the rod length. I assumed overhead as a result.

I've done some spey casting with the 11ft'er and a 30ft head, max distance for me was not very impressive. I put the 50+ ft spey heads on it and the spey casting was quite functional and a rocket overhead option available anytime I wanted it. That was a little over 4x the rod length.

A 15ft rod with a Windcutter, considered short, is a little under 4x rod length. However a 15ft rod can handle 100 ft heads almost 7x rod length.

But with a good Scandinavian underhand stroke I would suppose a very short head would work really well on a 13.5 ft rod, even a 30ft head. It may provide some maneuverability advantages, etc. Another thing I have to try!

·
1,771 Posts
Very cool.

I'll bet the backcasting room needed for that type of cast is really minimal as well. I know some brushy eastern river banks where the short line might be the way to go on the 12'2" 5/6 tracker for landlocked salmon this fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts