Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a 9150 blank. What kind of performance can I expect from this rod? Does it have enough backbone to pick up tips? Are there any other good or bad points I should know about it? What is the best line for it?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Trust me on this one....

One of the few 'Cannons!' Sage ever built. I've actually cast short head 600 grain sinking tips with this rod. Rod will spit out a 400 grain RIO big boy like it was candy.

If you need to go deep, down and dirty (and don't want an 18 foot rod) this could be your 'baby.'

fae

·
Registered
475 Posts
Jim
I have a 9150 - I am on call this weekend but might be able to make some time on Sunday am(if it warms up) if you wanted to try it. I have landed a spring in the high 20's on it - I have fished an accelerator10/11,a grandspey8/9,a triangle taper10/11 & a midspey10/11 on it - I prefer the later and have fished this combination on the Kalum with a bigboy300 in very cold conditions with good results
speydoc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred, Speydoc,thanks for the info/opinions. Speydoc, I would like to try the rod if it warms up and your schedule permits. I will call you this afternoon.

Jim

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Although Sage groups the 9150 among its Traditional spey rods, it's probably fast enough to fit in the European grouping. It's fast in a good way, with a butt that flexes and a strong enough tip.
I presently fish it with a S.A. XLT 8/9 cut at 26' for tips and a Triangle Taper spey 9/10 dry line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wayne
I have a chance to pick up an XLT at a decent price. You cut it at 21', but since customizing lines is fairly new to me,what length tips, sink rates, weight in grains or what ever other info you're willing to share that may be of use to me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rando

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hit the 'search' feature for more info.

Was quite an involved thread some time back on where to snip/alter the XLT for tips, etc.
fae

1 - 8 of 8 Posts