Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and have just a bit of experience with two handed rods and as such, I thought I would tap into the expereince of those who live and breath this stuff.

I am looking to add another rod to the quiver; either the Sage 9141 or the Scott LS2 1509.

I see my self using this rod for medium to large rivers (by Great Lakes standards) swinging tips, often heavy 200 and 300 big boys and maybee get into the Skagit style lines with some T-14 tips.

What are your your experiences and feelings for choice. I do realize that the LS2 s are pretty fresh and don't have too many hours of use on them, but as with most rods, single or two handed, the caster knows soon whether the rod works or not. As for the 9141 - there are a lot of them out there.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you can afford it, you might want to consider the new Sage TCR 9129-4.

It works well with the Cannon Jet Stream 9/10 floating line and whatever leader I tried.

Bob Pauli and I tested it with the new Rio 650 gr 9/10 Skagit line. It threw every head we attached to it from 15' Rio tips, to 26 Rio DC tips, to Rio Big Boy 30' tips, to 30' and 28' T14 tips. Bob was lasering it out to 90' or more. I was tossing it out 60 to 70'.

The shorter rod and lower rod weight of the TCR 9129-4 means that it can be easier to cast and can be cast in tight quarters easier than the 14'+ rods. The TCR 9129-4 will become my winter rod and summer/fall salmon rod.

·
Registered
545 Posts
H2O,

I have cast/fished both of these rods a fair amount and they are very different critters.

I recently helped a friend dial in a skagit set up for the Sage and it rocked! It was simply easy to chuck huge flies and any size sink tip.

The Scott is much lighter in the hand even though it is a foot longer and shines with long lines, short lines and sink tips.

Between the two I would say that the Sage is the better rod if you are going to put togehter a Skagit line and the Scott would be my preferred rod for long bellies or versatility.

You can't really go wrong with either as they are both great rods.

I hope this helps.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts