·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Have a Sage 9140 - it's the 14',4 piece rated for a #9. Think it's called
'the brownie'.
Anyway, haven't used it in some time and I was going to dust it
off this summer for grilse/summer salmon.
I had a line somewhere for it, but can't locate it. I was going to invest in a new one and was thinking along the lines of a SA XLT 8/9.
Has anyone out there in speyland got this line and rod and would it be
a good match ?

Thanks in advance,
Beaconbeige.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't say about the XLT, but I fished this rod last year with an 8/9 mid-spey. It was a very good match. I was just looking at your home river--is that the Boyne as in "The Sash My Father Wore?"
Al.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I used to own the same rod until I sold it this past February due to not having used fished with it for 5 years. I've tried to cast the 8/9 XLT on it two years ago and it very badly overloaded by it. I'd recommend using a 65' belly 8/9 line (one of the mid-belly types) on it. If you simply must use it with an XLT, the 7/8 might be OK; but you may find you need to go to the 6/7 to avoid overloading the rod. The 9140 Sage brownie doesn't like a lot of belly length.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mine works well with a Sci. Anglers Mastery 8/9, which is a mid-belly length similar to the 8/9 Midspey. My dry line is a Cortland 444 DT8/9F spey line, with long, gradual tapers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies folks - by the sounds of it, the XLT should be avoided.
SA do a short spey (51' head) or a mid spey (64' head) - Would these be a better option and which one would suit best ?

Al - Yes, the very same Boyne, in Ireland - I don't fish it for salmon though as the beats I have access to have very sluggish water due to dredging in the 50's/60's, but the brown trout fishing is superb. Pity, as you can hear the big salmon splashing about in the evenings and they sound monstrous - 23lb'er caught there recently - bait, I think!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to take the bus down from Lurgan on the weekend to fish it for trout, but that was forty years ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't be affraid to go lighter. I own the green model which is slightly stiffer. MJC recently recommended the 7/8 airflow delta to me and it is a superb match for the 9140 greenie! Up until now my line of choice has been the 8/9 midspey. It has worked well but is a bit heavy. Both the short and mid belly lines will work but you need to decide what you'd like. If you're fishing heavy tips the short belly will be easier. That said I just ordered a 7/8 long delta to try on my rod. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You might buy a Skagit 8/9 550 grain + 5’cheater for your rod and ask Willie Gunn to stop by and show you how to cast it. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts