Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still pretty new at this game so I'd appreciate any advice or opinions on the Sage 9140. I took a spey casting class and this was the rod that I first used and was recommended so I bought a slightly used one. I later bought a Sage 6126 which I love for fishing the smaller rivers in N. CA where I live. Now that I'm getting decent at casting I'm thinking of getting a heavier weight rod but switching back to the traditional action of the 9140 gets my timing all messed up.
I've heard that the 9140 is one of the best "traditional spey" rods
but I pretty much learned to cast "underhand" from the beginning
and it seemd most of you prefer a faster rod for that style. Since I can't afford to go out and buy another brand new rod, I'm thinking of selling the 9140. :( I'm torn about what to do. Any suggestions?? Thanks.
Kim

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
If it was me, I would hold onto the 9140 until you find a better replacement rod. Only then should you sell the 9140.

If you sell the 9140 first, you'll be more likely to replace it hastily rather than carefully.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Despite all these fancy fast action spey rods available today, the original 9140's are still, without question, one of the sweetest rods ever made, IMHO. I, too, enjoy faster action rods, and a lot of these rods practically cast themselves, but it's nice to go back to a real traditional rod every once in a while, slow things down a bit and cast a rod that forces you to really work on your technique. It's great to feel those 9140's bend all the way to the cork and just launch the line. The feel of these rods is unparalleled.

I'd hang on to it. However, if you do decide to part ways with it, it's going to be snatched up in a second!

BFR

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This just about covers it with a heavy blanket..

loco_alto said:
If it was me, I would hold onto the 9140 until you find a better replacement rod. Only then should you sell the 9140.

If you sell the 9140 first, you'll be more likely to replace it hastily rather than carefully.
Couldn't agree more. Note you're in Northern California. You'll find this to be an excellent rod for winter fishing on the Russian River.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Kimk,

It is my experience most overline the Sage 9140. What line are you using?

I did a poll on that rod about 2 monthes ago you may want to go back and read some of the responses. I'm a huge fan of that old rod and I think eveyone should have one in their quiver! My advice is spend a little more time with it and see if you can get all the performance out of it that Sage desogned into it.

Cheers N I

PS advice is worth what you pay for it :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Kim K

Sell the 9140 and buy the Sage 8126. Then, you will have two short rods that will handle any water in N. California.

I have a new Sage 6126, and I love it. It casts as far as my 7141 with about 1/3 the effort. It is a very powerful and yet forgiving rod.

Some of us do better with the shorter rods. I'm one of those people. From my limited experience, the taller, stronger and more athletic spey casters do well with the longer rods or 14' plus traditional rods.

My son, Chris the Chromag, has one of the orginal 9140 that he uses for Shad fishing, and he hammers them. He does a single or double spey to set up a booming overhand cast with his WC 8910 to get out 90 to 110' where the shad may be. He has a bad afternoon when he doesn't catch 20 to 30. He can also shoot a shooting head, running line and a big striper fly 90 to 120' with a 10 weight single handed rod while heading into a 30 MPH wind while controlling the electric motor on his boat in the delta.

For his birthday last year, I gave him a 9/10 tip compensator and a type 8 sinking tip as his old WC set didn't have these new tips.
It is a thing of wonder and beauty to watch him do his cast above and shoot all of it 90 to 110' +.

He will never sell his 9140 as it is the supreme rod for him. I would probably quit Spey Fishing if it was the only rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts