Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any experience with this new rod it is close in action to the old brownie I believe. I have a 7136-4 for summers dry line but was looking for a reasonably priced winter rod for smaller hatchery fish up to 15 pounds.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
IMHO only, if the rod action is close to the

old 'brownie,' vs. the 'green' blank. I'd probably pass. Have both rods,and the browinie hardly ever sees any river time anymore.

The 'greenie' is one of my standard 'in car' rods (actually it's in the Lexus along with Meiser's rod now. .......

One never knows where 'one may find it convient to "take lunch."':devil:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9140-4vps sage

I think the rod is actually faster in action with a slightly heavier tip than the old brownie its made of G-III graphite. It was a toss up between this and the 14 ft lamiglass or the black line loop.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
If you haven't bought the Sage VPS yet, get the Loop Black Series because it has more backbone in its butt and can better handle bigger fish, tips, and flies as a result. The Loop Black also has the full-flex, slow action that you seem to like in you Sage 7136. The old "brownie" was also made from G-III graphite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sagevps 9140-4

It's already a done deal.bought the sage.I wont be throwing very heavy tips 15' 220gr max and the average fish are 8-12 lbs here . Hook sizes range from 1-3/0 in waters that are considered fishable. Any recomendations of multi-tip packages have heard good things about Rio and Airflow and SA.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
I'm sure you made the right choice with the Sage. It is my opinion that these rods take alot of undue criticism. I have cast many rods [TandT, Scott, Hardy, Loomis, Redington, Loop] and currently own a Winston DB fave and the old Sage 9140. Love the Sage. Very easy casting rod. After researching this board and others I chose to line it with a Rio 789 wind cutter { couldn't find a airflow delta spey to buy in my area} and a set of Airflow tips. A brilliant combo. Miike we are in the same area. For a possible DEMO p m me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts