Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Laird of Locharber
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 9140-4 IIIe.Haven't had a chance to cast it though.Have been using a GFL 9140-4 III for over 10 yrs. What can be expected of this Medium Action Traditional Rod as compaired to the Medium-Fast Action of the older 7oz (wood-seat)Traditional? The older rod is mostly used with Rio Windcutter-Tips for winter Steelhead.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I had one for a while. It was when I was quite a novice caster (even more so than now). Its a tad faster than the brownie, throws a mid spey 8/9 very nicely. I kick myself for unloading that rod.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I learned to spey cast with that rod. Real nice easy action I mostly cast a windcutter for tips and a TT9 for a dry line. It was a very nice dry line rod.
Mike

·
Laird of Locharber
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brownie-Greenie & now Caramel

Now that I have put out the bucks to get what I thought would be an inprovement to a rod that have loved to cast for over 10yrs. I have read that the 04/05 9140-4 T IIIe,may not be a greene because it is Caramel-Brown in color.Was there 9140 Greene before the current IIIe & after the Browne GFL III ?All of my speys are GFL III {T} brownes (7136-4,10150-4 ) & a 5120-4 IIIe (Caramel-Brown). :confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
craigspey said:
Now that I have put out the bucks to get what I thought would be an inprovement to a rod that have loved to cast for over 10yrs. I have read that the 04/05 9140-4 T IIIe,may not be a greene because it is Caramel-Brown in color.Was there 9140 Greene before the current IIIe & after the Browne GFL III ?All of my speys are GFL III {T} brownes (7136-4,10150-4 ) & a 5120-4 IIIe (Caramel-Brown). :confused:
I've got both the 'old/original' 9140-4 'brownie' and the 9140-4 'greenie;' the casting of these rods is 'night and day.' The brownie is a fairly slow, very limber rod that is what I'd call an all day, if you only have one rod, you'd enjoy casting same from dawn to dusk. The 'greenie' is a much stiffer/fast action blank and as such you can make considerably longer casts with heavy/wind resistent fly(s) on the end of the leader.

At some point in this boards history, (dust bin memory here) postings were to the effect that the 'greenie' was a slight re-design of the 8140-4 that is/was so beloved by many casters.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Fred,

First time I have heard anyone refer to a 9140-4 regardless of color as a "fast" actioned rod :hihi:

Did you by chance mean the 8150 instead of the 8140?

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
craigspey said:
Now that I have put out the bucks to get what I thought would be an inprovement to a rod that have loved to cast for over 10yrs. I have read that the 04/05 9140-4 T IIIe,may not be a greene because it is Caramel-Brown in color.Was there 9140 Greene before the current IIIe & after the Browne GFL III ?

Yup. Original brown. Redesigned as the "greenie" and quickened and stiffened up a bit. Then a color change to a "tiger's eye" brown but retaining the newer quicker action so yes, you do have the newest version of the rod. I don't know that I would say the difference is night and day, but the newer ones are to my style much more capable rods.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the 9140-4 greenie and really like it. It was my first rod and I was looking for one that would cover lots of situations. I like its medium action and I think it is very forgiving. From what I understand the new caramel coloured ones are the same action as the green one. I like a variety of lines on this rod. My favourite line is the 7/8 delta. MJC recommended I try this line and it is a wonderful match. I also like the 8/9 midspey. Now that I've tried the 7/8 delta I wonder what a 7/8 midspey would be like. That said the 8/9 is fine. For heavy sink tip work the RIO skagit line is awesome on this rod. I just returned from a trip where I used this combo a great deal. I tried it with and without the 5' cheater and came to the conclusion that I like it without the cheater better. For more delicate summer work with a dry line I enjoy using the new 7/8 grandspey on it. I know I've read that the newer 9140 can't handle a long belly but the new 7/8 grandspey only has a 75' belly. I'm new to the longer belly lines but so far I like this match. So all in all I think you've got a great rod on your hands that doesn't seem to get much good press. If you're looking at just one line try that delta out.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
sinktip said:
Fred,

First time I have heard anyone refer to a 9140-4 regardless of color as a "fast" actioned rod :hihi:

Did you by chance mean the 8150 instead of the 8140?

I stand corrected on both counts!! :whoa:

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Stampsteelie,

I preferred the 7/8 midspey on my 9140 greenie. I used the 8/9 for grass casting if I could not get to the river.
I like it for the four years I owned it
until I found something better in my opinion.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin, after casting that delta I figured the lighter midspey would be good. Yes I agree there are some better sticks out there but my wife does weekly inspections of the old rod closet and if any new rods are discovered...... :saevilw: That said my 9140 has never let me down.
Dan

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Like I said

I have never cast another rod that throws an MS 8/9 better, IMHO. That rod fits "ME" very well, a nice mid point between the old brownie action and the modern Euro thing. Don't get me wrong, I like fast rods, but casting that stick now, I realize what I miss.

Some people compare their wife to thier mistress, this is like the hot cleaning lady, know what I mean????

Smooth and easy.............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts