Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I was under the impression that the rod I have (9140-3)was traditional action, but when compared to a buddy's 9141 they seemed almost the same.
Is my rod the same as a 9140-4 or is there a difference?

The blank is brown, reel seat is cork with nickle and the tube is tan. The graphite is III.

Curious as to what I've got, and what I should be able to do with it... i.e. throw 300 gr. big boy tips and 15 ft. type 8's on an accelerator 8/9???? Cause I am, but it's not graceful past 80 ft.
Thanks Fellas,
Aaron

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
this rod will cast bricks, Euro bricks. I use it when I want to rearrange the rocks on the river bottom with 20' of LC13 (= 260 grains) off a Cortland 11/12 or Windcutter 9/10/11. I don't get much past 80-90' with this mess, but that's plenty. This is definately a euro rod. I think some like an Accelerator 10/11 on this rod, which I've not had a chance to try. The Cortland 11/12 has about the same grains as the Accelerator 10/11.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
The 9140-3 was marketed as a European action. The match on the traditional side was the 9140-4. The two were like night and day. A few years ago Sage decided to switch the European line to 4 piece rods and so to differentiate from the traditionals, added an inch. The 9140-3 you have is a similar rod to your buddies 9141-4. For what its worth, I have cast both rods and I prefer the 9140-3.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 9140-3 is the rod I should have bought 11 years ago when I bought the 9140-4 noodle. The difference in the two is nothing short of amazing. I would fish it with any of the 9/10 lines and tips.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello to everybody!

That rod is the best two hander that Sage has done!
I use to own two of those one 14´ and one 15´. I did sell one, I have to say that I dont know why and then I broke my 14´ rod.
Well they did send 14´ Graphite 4 and I didn´t like that rod at all.
What ever You do don´t sell that rod, well maybe if you will You should sell it to me :) , just kidding.

Now I dont own any Sage rod cause they dont make any I like.
I like G:Loomis GLX rods , but still miss my Sage :(

I was fwe years ago fishing in Finnmark, Norway and those boys where after my Sage rod like sharks after blood.
They would have paid double what that rod price was in Finland.
Price is round 1000 USD!

I did use shooting heads up to 500 grains in my 14´ Sage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts