Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought the sage 9140-3 from member JGS,and he suggest RIO skagit line...he didn't use this rod much,so if anyone has a good line for me to learn on,i'd like to know...and i think i read it's good to overline this rod up a notch..
any suggestions? thanks kim

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Kim,

As I said in the other thread, you are right, this is really a #10 rod. If you line it as such it will work well.

I used to fish this rod with a 10/11 RIO Accelerator (which is out of production), it was a long-belly, if that is what you are interested in then the CND 10/11 would be excellent on it. If you want shorter belly lines the wincutter/delta types work really well - so long as they are 10 weights.

You have got yourself a great rod - enjoy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Line for 9140-3

When you use a long belly spey line # 10 on this rod you will slow the speed (action) of this rod down and you use the smooth powerfull lower section of the rod to load the casting stroke. Nothing wrong with that, you will have a very pleasent casting rod that you use with a longer casting stroke.

The rod was designed around a scandinavian shooting head. I would like to suggest a 9/10 shooting head cut back to 33 or 34 gram. With this line you will cast with the more gentle upper part of the rod. this will produce tight smooth outrolling loops. You will be able to cast the rod with a nice short casting stroke and will enjoy effortless casting and loop control.

Have fun with a great rod!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 9/10/11 wind cutter is a perfect match for this rod. especially for someone new to it. My preference however lies in a longer line and if you want to go that way the old mastery 10/11 works very well. Once you get used to the rod the old 9/10 is prob. the perfect longer belly for it if you can find one.
Ramsay

·
Registered
179 Posts
The rod was digned for underhand casting (Anderson casting) by Goran Anderson. Try the lines he developed for this cast : Loop Adapted line system, especially the Low-float, and the Slow sink. Combine this lines with linetips intermediate and the sink versions, and a appropriate runningline 0.032". This line system will load the rod nicely. Remember the under hand (lower hand ) does the job, distinct stop at high rod position, no force is necessary. Force and "let the rod fall down" will spoil your cast.
You asked about suitable reel, I use the Loop traditional 3W (now Danielsson Traditional 3W) this reel fit perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts