Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For Sale:

(1) Sage 9140-3 9/10 weight 14'0" long 3 piece European Action graphite III two handed "Spey" FACTORY rod (brown blank) with factory sock & tube. I bought this rod new from Michael and Young in 2001 (I am the original owner - I obviously sent the warranty card in, but as has been proven time in and time out getting warranty on these sticks by second owners doesn't seem to be an issue). For those of you who have been around the spey world long enough you will know this rod has a cult like following as it is part of Sage's original line up of two handers. It was designed by Goran Anderson for Sage as a Scandinavian rod (European Action) but trust me when I say this - it is honestly one of the most versatile two handers available, even to this day, and I still fail at Spey Claves to find newer sticks that cast as well and have the level of versatility this one has. You can cast big tips and intruders for winter runs or belt out long belly lines on big rivers for summer runs. It can also handle most chinook and chum confidently. This rod, while labelled "European" is not ultra fast, but more a truely progressive actioned stick with loads of back bone in the mid section and good recovery. The reason I am selling it is because being a long belly lined guy I have gone to something a little longer that has a very, very similar action and feel (within 95%) as this one. I don't like things collecting dust either.

(1) Loop Evotec 9thirteen. This is the ORIGINAL Loop Evotec 9thirteen made by Danielsson for Loop before he left Loop and went out on his own ,and before they switched to the LW and HD designations back in the early 2000's. I bought it used off of a staff member from Michael and Young in 2002. It is a well appointed reel - very smooth, and high quality, with a large arbour and a VERY heavy duty drag system (same drag as the HD Loops). The unique thing about this reel is the drag adjustment is basically the entire rear cage of the reel which is really handy for quick adjustments to the drag on the fly without putting your fingers or knuckles in harms way or having to fumble around for a small knob. You can go from setting the drag lightly for moving line off the reel for casting/fishing, to when you hook a fish quickly setting it tighter. I am fond of this reel to the extent that it's a great piece of quality equipment that I will miss but at the same time I it is just a smudge small for the long belly lines I use on my new two hander (it works, but I have to pay attention to how I pack the reel, as well as cutting some running line off of some lines) and I am buying something larger soon that is more accomodating to us minority long belly spey line guys.

Both pieces of equipment have been used over the years, but not abused. There is a ding/light dent in the Sage rod tube, and the rod has some scratches as well but nothing extreme or unheard of for a well taken care of rod for this age. The reel has a few scratches, one mark on the back of the reel cage and, some reel seat scuffing but nothing extreme and both are overall in good shape.

I will sell both individually but will adhere to the standard practice of giving a discount if taken as a package. I am located in Coquitlam, BC (Suburb of Vancouver). Shipping is extra.

Rod - $325
Reel - $325
Package Deal - $600

You can email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or want pictures.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
In my opinion, that was the sweetest casting Sage 2-hander of the graphite III Brownie era. You're right, it is very much a progressive, medium fast, medium stiff tipped rod that is very versitile. It is the Sage Brownie I should have bought back in the day instead of the 9140-4. Someone is going to get a great stick at a very good price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts