Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
9140-3 ds gfl

I just bought a 9140-3 ds gfl and I am looking for information regarding this rod.
It has a factory handle and looks to be a factory wrap but it has a plastic Fugi reel seat and the guides as well as the wraps seem to be a little off the standard Sage quality. Does anyone know the story on this rod? I haven't cast it yet but what I am hoping for is the faster "Euro style" action that I have seen in a freind's custom 9140-3. I will cast it this weekend and that may give me athe answer.
Thanks, Roodogxx

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Sage 9140-3 DS-GFL

The DS stood for Discovery Series, which was Sage's entry level rods. That explanes the Fugi reelseat and the lack luster finish. THe blank is the same as the 9140-3 which was the European action designed by Goryn Andersen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks

Thanks JD,

You might remember me as a friend of Jay Jones. We cast together a few years ago at the Pasadena Pond. After casting Jay's 9140-3 I have been looking for one as a back up rod and because I thought it was a nice blend of faster action rods and the sweet feel of a more traditional action. Coming from you I can rest assured that I got what I wanted and for the price I don't mind the reel seat and the lack of cosmetics. I plan to cast it tonight with a Mid Spey 9/10 and a Carron Jetstream 10/11. Thanks for the insight.

Paul Huntsman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts