Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and only a little older in discovering the merits of double-handed fly-fishing (can't figure out why its taken me so long when every rod I used as a kid needed two hands...).
Anyway, I've bought myself a Sage 8126-3 to play with on my local river and am wondering what lines people would recommend. I want a rod/line combo that's fairly forgiving and will allow me to try out new casting methods, especially underhand casting. Any ideas guys?
thanks
Nick

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Here is a couple to start with, have fun!

Wincutter
7/8/9 (54.6 ft) 525 grains
8/9/10 (54.6 ft) 585 grains

Midspey
7/8 (65 ft) 569 grains
8/9 (65 ft) 640 grains

SA:
SSH 8/9 (51 ft) 650 grains
Spey 8/9 (64 ft) 650 grains

Airflo:
Delta Spey WF 8/9 (53ft) 575 grains
Delta Spey WF 9/10 (55 ft) 630 grains

Hardy Mach 1 10/11 (52 ft) 648 grains

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Brian.
I keep looking at casting weights, number of grains and so on, and getting a bit lost. There seem to be variations in head weights of a different lines when compared to their AFTMA rating. Is this because the AFTMA system just bases its rating on the first 30ft of the head, wheras a spey line (even a short head line) has a head length of over 50 feet? To my way of thinking a spey line with a long front taper and the belly a long way back would end up with a low AFTMA rating as all that would be measured would be the first 30' of front taper? There seems to have been some discussion on the board already about this, maybe rod manufacturers could supply optimum casting wieghts for their rods (similar to beachcasters) ? Or would this not really help either?
Nick

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I have that rod and I use SA SSH 8/9. I've cut it bavk for sink-tips great combo!
:D

Lines are all different there is no set standard that I’ve seen.
Bob Meiser Rods (Sponsor) has been rating his rods by grain weight; this makes life a lot easier for the normal Spey caster.
:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grain weights

Hi Brian,
thanks for the update. I have a couple of SA lines on my single handed rods which I like, so I'll probably try the one which you have. I want a short head line because a) I have a 15' rod to use when I'm fishing bigger water and b) I want to try out underhand casting for use in confined spaces.
I think your idea about grain weights for rods is a good one - the load you apply at the rod tip divided by the line weight determines the acceleration of your fly line and so the resulting line speed and distance.
I notice that Snowbee here in the UK have used the same philosophy as Bob Meiser in giving their rods a rating dependant on optimum loading weights. Maybe this is the way things are going?
Thanks again for your recommendatons, it gets expensive trying out lines on a rod only to find that you wish you'd gone the next size up or down... :cool:
Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts