Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Since buying my first 8150 I now feel like I need to have another in case....well you know....scary thought. So. If anyone has a Sage 8150 that they would like to part with please contact me.

Thanks to all

Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

·
Mount Shasta Paranormal
385 Posts
Ken:

I am curious as to what lines you use on your 8150?

DH

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airflo

Delta long 8/9 on the advice of my betters, prior to that a 550 skagit with a 5 foot cheater. Both cast well. The rod is very insistent that I slow down and use good technique ( which I don't have)!

Thanks

Ken Campbell
Bigfork, MT

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Dry

For a dry line something about 650 grains over 75' is perfection.

My first choice would be the Ian Gordon Spey 75' 8/9.
There is a GPS which is 670 which would work just fine.
The old Airflo Traditional was nice too

·
Mount Shasta Paranormal
385 Posts
Yep, I have used the Airflo Traditional 7/8 on it recently and it is an amazing contrast to the Rio 550 g Skagit I had using. I am just now beginning my long belly Spey line education.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smile!!!

Now will someone please sell me another 8150!!!

grin

thanks
kc

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump

Still looking....

Thanks

Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

·
loco alto!
2,990 Posts
There is a GPS which is 670 which would work just fine.
I was just throwing it (GPS 8/9) last night on my 8150 and it is a very nice match. Casts well in close, loads the rod fully with the entire head out, and slings far with a very relaxed stroke. Sorry Ken, I'm not selling, but I hope this bump helps!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He He

Thanks Steve!!!

It'll happen!!

Ken Campbell
Bigfork, Montana

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,425 Posts
As someone who has owned both rods and written about them over the years, I think it unfair to compare the 8150 and the 1509. Both are fine rods but they are as different as night and day. The 8150 is a traditional flexing rod with a nice backbone. The 1509 a much faster rod with a soft tip. I'm a die hard T&T fan and think the 1509 a good casting tool but the 8150 is a classic!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh,

Jonesy's messin with me now. I think I insulted his T&T at lunch the other day!

:saevilw:

kc

·
Mount Shasta Paranormal
385 Posts
Back up plan

An alternative is the Loomis Greased Line FR 18078-4 15ft. 7/8 wt Spey rod. It is nearly a carbon copy of the Sage 8150. These rods are still in production so if you can't find someone who will give up the 8150 there is a very similar rod out there.

Theres one on ebnay now but only about 1 day to go on it.

DH

BTW: I also have the 8150 & the T&T 1409/5 and I concur that with the former it's an 8150 slow dance vs the latter T&T tango.

too much dancing with stars, now off finally to FISH!

·
SteamboatWillie Spey
20 Posts
Tip,once again,I can't seem to be able to disagree with Ya! As a matter of fact it was your sublime post on Hardy history that got me in "over my head" with my Perfect collection.You better hope Dianne doesn't figure out where you live! I still want to put my 15' Highlander 7/8/9 in Cailen's hands someday for a comparison though.......Jonesy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts