Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see from searching many previous threads that the Sage 8150 has been regarded as a bit of a classic.

Is this still the case or have opinions changed such that other more modern rods are now seen as much better. If this is the case then which modern rods are these?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a Sage 8150 for a while. I was looking for a longer rod to play with short and mid belly lines with and had heard and read of their following. A lot of people talk very highly of them and still have theirs tucked away in their closet that they don't often fish, but won't get rid of.

I found a really nice one and began tossing around deltas and delta longs. I found it to be a fuller flexing rod than what I was used to, that didn't like to be pushed but rewarded you when you slowed down and got in the groove with it. I am not of fan of overly fast "broomstick" rods, but I did figure out that I like a little quicker recovery. Somedays I could find the right pace and really enjoyed the rod. Other days I couldn't slow down enough and really fought the rod. I thought the rod was ok and was fairly happy with it. That was until the first time I picked up a Burkheimer (8142) and it clicked big time with my casting style and I had to have one. My ol' 8150 was quickly put up for sale and the Burkie 8142 took its place on the rivers and times I had intended it for. The 8150 is still a great rod, but I found a better match for me. I think some of the praise comes from people that learnt to cast on it, so it suites their style a bit more.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Better? In what sense? I have the 8150 and I've cast several other 15' 8 weights. In my opinion none match the Brownie and most of those others are closer to 9 weights. From what I gather - there are two versions. That's not to say there aren't other nice 15'ers in the 7/8 range. The Meiser 6/8 HC for one. But there really is only one 8150. It is slower in action and recovery - comperatively speaking - and so it matches well with the light extended belly lines and can cast heavier as well. There're several others that are only fractions lighter and more powerful like the Greased Line GLX 7/8, LS2 1509/4, CND Solstice. CFB 8152 is a nine weight. B & W15' 7-9 has had many raving reviews also. Maybe those who are familiar with both the Sage and B & W can chime-in.

Anyhow. Yes - it's a classic and will not be matched.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
8150 vs newer rods

As you have discovered, the Sage 8150 has somewhat of a cult following. Many of us, including your truly, cut our teeth on that rod. I used to fish an SA XLT line on mine and that rod could handle the long line beautifully. I once put that rod up against a Meiser Highlander and a G Loomis Grease Liner, with the same line, (my reel) and some other very good casters. This was when the Highlander & the Grease Liner first came out. It was like comparing peas in a pod. They were that close!

That was then. Materials & rod designs have advanced, while the 8150 has remained the same. Kind of like comparing a 20 year old car to today's. Some will swear by it. Others will cling to what they are familiar with. One thing I have noticed, the 8150 has held it's value over the years, still commanding $300 give or take a bit.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,406 Posts
It is in my opinion the best rod Sage ever produced, although I realize that the old 10151 might be close. I regret selling mine as I think it would be butter with some of the newer generation mid bellied lines that are available. Not a fast actioned rod but loads of reserve power and a pleasure to fish all day with.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Yeah, this was a benchmark rod for me too. The taper was really good, slow as in the tip section was meaty to start and the increase in diameter down the blank increased slowly so it loaded into the butt without much effort.

I fished a Wulff TT 8/9 on the Skagit and Sandy early in my spey experience and it pleased me a lot. I sold it a few years later and then bought another because I felt I could not be without one. I wouldn't buy one today because I think there are better rods available, some very similar and some a little stiffer, I like the stiffer ones with similar tapers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts