Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to do it but have to - for sale is my Sage 8150-4. Insert it to Bob Meiser a few years ago, and he put a new handle and reel seat on it for me. It does have my name on it, but either he or another competent rods mint could easily remove that for you. Tube and sock included. Wish I could keep it, but we need the money. Email with questions, [email protected] Asking $500. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I have cast this rod and drooled over it many many times. Beautiful build, casts like a dream.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Can someone explain the action/feel of this 8150? I've heard so many great things about it and consistently hear it's a lot of folks go to 15' rod.

What would be the closest 8 wt 15' currently available rod out there today?

Thanks in advance.
Preston

·
loco alto!
2,977 Posts
I find it like the CND Solstice 15'2" or 15' 7/8 Highlander Classic, softer, full flex, and with older graphite not as snappy on recovery and line speed

lots of folks compare it to the Loomis 15' 7/8, but I find the action is very different, with the Loomis being noticeably more progressive (lighter tip, stiffer butt)

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
897 Posts
I think that comparing it to the G-Loomis 15' 7/8 Greaseline and/or Meiser Highlander Classic would be a real close comparison ...... With a slower rate of recovery. The 8150 is in mho, one of the nicest rods ever built. It is awesome and super smooth casting. I wish I still owned mine. I have also held and cast this rod and the work done on it is, by Bob Meiser is steller. Dave

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I agree: The Highlander is as close to the 8150 that I've cast. Don't know the Solstice. As for lines; 7/8 weights for the 8150, 7/8/9s for the Classic and 8/9s for the Greased Line 7/8.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Can someone explain the action/feel of this 8150? I've heard so many great things about it and consistently hear it's a lot of folks go to 15' rod.

What would be the closest 8 wt 15' currently available rod out there today?

Thanks in advance.
Preston
Preston,

If you ever thought of buying a 15ftr, this would be the one. An 8/9 GPS on this rod is a dream. Besides, this is almost one of a kind, and the price is very nice.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just bought a 15' 6/7/8 Highlander Classic build kit from Bob! I plan to fish a 7/8 GPS as I have one. Finding an 8/9 GPS is next to impossible...:mad:

Is everyone who are mentioning the Highlander Classic talking the older generation Highlander or the newer 'hybrid' graphite that Bob changed most of his Highlanders and MKS rods? I think the change was around 2009, but I might be wrong.

I'm looking for a progressive rod, with a strong butt, but with a crisp and fairly fast recovery.

My target species 'steelhead' are only 5-10lbs here in Ontario so hence my purchase of the 6/7/8 vs. the 7/8/9.

Thanks for all the insights on the thread and via PM.

Preston

Preston,

If you ever thought of buying a 15ftr, this would be the one. An 8/9 GPS on this rod is a dream. Besides, this is almost one of a kind, and the price is very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts