Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to fill a gap. I need an 8wt. two-hander. Narrowed down the choice to a Sage 8126 GIV but was offered a Hardy Gem 12' 8wt at an attractive price.
Trouble is the last Hardy Gem thread got totally off track talking about the Scandinavian Rio heads.
So anybody who has tried out the Gem would like to hear your thoughts on this rod. Better or equal to the 8126? Or just different beasts all together?
Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have not much experience with the Sage, but have cast the GEm a few times with different shooting heads. The GEM is a typical fast action rod and a very successful rod in that respect! It is a rod I would have liked to own. I would guess it is faster than the Sage. I could also add that the GEM rods has got top marks in different tests in Scandinavian angling magazines. It should though be mentioned that the Sage has a far better warranty towards breakage.

Anyway, I would recommend you try the rods before you buy either of them if you haven't done so before.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have cast the GEM 12' #8 and really liked it, especially that it was very light and quick in the hands and had a bit of a tippy feel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts