Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone compare these two rods, if the price was approx the same. I'm looking for a shorter sink-tip rod for fishing in the 50-80ft casting range. Thanks. Rx

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Don't forget

Don't forget the Lamiglass 12'6" 6 piece 8/9 and the Flylogic Dec Hogan 13' 8wt. The Lamiglass is simply amazing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sage 8126-3 and CND 13' #8 wt. Custom

Rx,

These are two very fine, although very different, rods.

The Sage 8126-3 is my main 'go to' rod on medium-sized rivers. It is a medium-fast, 'Euro-style' rod in the Underhand tradition; it even sports a shorter Underhand-style grip. I use a Loop Adapted Line Shooting Head on the rod when I need distance and a Skagit-style line when fishing sink tips.

I have cast the CND 13' #8 wt. Custom a fair bit. It has a more powerful tip, but is not necessarily a faster rod. The CND has a more 'traditional' action than the Sage, and I find it a better rod than the Sage 8126-3 for the mid-belly lines (@ 65' head length).

If you plan to fish a Skagit-style line, you should consider two other rods as well: the new Sage 8136-4 and the new CND Skagit model. Either of these rods is perhaps better suited to the superb fishing in your backyard.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome RX

I will second Tophers recmmendation to look at the CND Skagit. I have fished it with the 8/9 long Delta. It is very pleasant to fish. I have also cast it with the 7/8 XLT and it does very will out to 80+ feet of the head out. I am rather new to the long lines, so someone with more experience might do a lot better.

I watched Ed Ward use one to cast a loop adapted line with sink tip last weedend at Carnation. He makes it look so easy. I will have to build one and learn to use the Skagit style head, at least for some of winter fishing.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
CND & Sage

Hey I have both. Sage has a lot of power 0n big fish, On the CND I got 17 plus on Snake I had lot of rod left. CND is easy casting rod much easier to cast. I build "Skagit lines" one I biulded for the CND is a sweetheart same thing for the Sage. It takes a lot trips to the river to get them right.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Lamiglas 12'9"

Philster,

I sent you a PM but figured I would post my message for everyone's input. I too like the new Lamiglas 12'9" 8/9 6 piece but found myself forcing my cast with this rod which, in turn, affected my casting with other rods.

Do you find the 8/9 Lamiglas pleasant to cast? It is certainly a cannon and extremely light in hand, but I questioned its casting characteristics for me. Also, what lines have you found to be most suited to this rod?

Thanks, John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts