Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Sage has discontinued the XP line, I'm seeing a few of their fast action spey rods on sale. I was thinking that the 12 1/2 foot 8 weight would make a really nice rod for beach fishing for stripers here in the east. Since most of the fishing is with intermediate or sink tip lines, I was wondering how the rod would match up with a Rio outbound line. Maybe an 11, 12 or 13 weight? Any thoughts? Any alternative rod suggestions?

·
Registered
236 Posts
G. Loomis CrossCurrent Beach Rod

G. Loomis is coming out with two new CrossCurrent Beach rods for 2007 (check 'em out at www.gloomis.com); the lighter of the two, the CrossCurrent 11'3" for #10/11 wt., is designed specifically for integrated shooting heads, and will be the cat's meow for surf casting and boat fishing with heavy lines and big flies. At $500.00 the price is right, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Madison River Fly Company had some Sage VPS spey rods for sale, I think it was a 14' 9wt. It seem fairly low priced. The website is www.mfrc.com I do not know how any rods cast, but it should be well suited for overhand casting. I think the VPS were mod-fast rods. You will get more rod with the XP, but it will cost you more initially.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts