Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for another spey rod to add to the quiver. I recently cast a scott sas 1308 which felt a bit on the too fast side. however too soft a rod such as sage traditional 9140 or the stcroix 13' 7/8 is more of a problem. I own a burky 9143 which I love, I also am quite happy with my loomis gl3 14' 8/9. I have narrowed my search down to sage 7141 or 8126. I will be using this rod for deschutes, grand rhonde type summer run fishing. I have cast the 8126 which felt quite nice but have not had the opportunity to cast the 7141. Any thoughts from those who have cast these rods?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Hi Tarpon,
If you have access to Scott Rods to test I would highly recommend looking at the Scott ARC 1287 - it is slower action than the Scott SAS but has lots of power - it works very well with teh xlt 7/8 as well as the 7/8 Long Delta. A wonderful fishing tool!!! A great summer rod that I have used often even with throwing 15 foot tips

·
JD
3,609 Posts
I have cast the Sage 7141. It is a nice rod. How to describe it? I don't know. No comparison to the 7136 for sure. You said you already have a Loomis GL3 8/9? They are similar, but different. If that makes any sence. You also have a 9143 Burkie. If you like that rod, you might want to try a 7 or 8 wt Burkie. I forget the model numbers, but they are nice rods and an action you are familiar with. There are a lot of really good rods being produced today, and like women, they are all good. Just some are better. You just have to try them to see what works for you. :hehe: Can also highly recommend CND and RB Meiser rods. Besides being really nice rods, they are both forum sponsers.

><///('>
JD

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Sage 7141 is pretty much a longer version of the 8126 in its action and casting feel. The longer length allows you to cast tips, make long casts, and mend easier than with the 8126. The 7141 is a true 7 weight that my wife wants me to buy for her and it feels best to me with a 6/7 midbelly line to me.

·
JD
3,609 Posts

I thought the 7141 did well with the SA 7/8 XLT. But then I also liked the GL3 8/9 with the same line. Especially considering the GL3 is less than half the price of the 7141 and a lot lighter rod. only negative, if you consider it a negative, is the GL3 is a 3 piece. Also might consider the "old style" SA Spey line. Something like a 75 ft belly line. My .02 worth.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
465 Posts
The 7141 is a great rod in my book. It is moderatly fast and hash good power in the butt for landing fish quickly. It handles tips well.

The 8126 is a broomstick! No one who I know who has fished this rod likes it. 'self included. Flytier -I think you are waaaaay off the mark is saying it has similar a action and casting feel to the 7141!

You might consider a Sage 6126. It would match nicely for those the type of fishing you're describing.

pescaphile

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Pescophile,

If you use a 7/8 MidSpey or other midbelly spey line on the Sage 8126 and a 6/7 MidSpey or other midbelly spey line on the 7141, they have very similar actions. Yes, the 8126 has a slightly quicker recovery because it is 2 feet shorter; however, they feel nearly identical to me with the lines I listed.

I have also found that many folks who prefer slow or medium rods think of the faster rods as being broomsticks. The 8126 is far from a broomstick and is really not that fast or powerful a rod. Yes, it has a very different feel than an overloaded 7141 (which loading it with a 7/8 XLT does); however, if you load the 8126 with an 9/10 midbelly line or a 8/9 XLT (which overload it), it feels almost identical to the 7141, only shorter. I have a friend with many years of steelhead fly fishing experience (57 to be exact) who prefers the Sage 8126 for summer fishing, and he loads it with the 7/8 MidSpey.

We all still need to keep in mind that diffrent people prefer different actions, some slow, some medium, some fast. Some people prefer the feel of an overlined rod, some the rated line. And neither of these variations or preferences is correct; they are only preferences of idividual casters. My preference is for fast-progressive rods like the Loop Green Series, GLX's, Gatti, and T&T, which is why I do not use Sage 2-handers, they are too slow for my taste.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I know you said you have already narrowed your search but i'd strongly recommend you look at the new 7wt Burkheimer models.. 7133-3 and the 7125-3 both rods the 7133 is ideal for the deschutes and the 7125 would be good for the Deschutes if an 80 foot cast is enough for you. Either rod would be excellent got the Ronde.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks roballen My problem is not being able to cast the burkies without buying them. Living in Salt lake their is only one shop in town that knows what a spey rod is. When I ordered my 9143 it took about six months to get. I also am worried about the lack of warranty with the burky.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
tarpon re the 7141

I own a Sage 7141, and it is my winter/spring steelhead rod. It casts great with the Mid Spey 7/8 with the sinking tips. It will rip the sinking tips right out of the water even in California with Gray Davis blasting the water out of the dams to make electricity.

However, after the Shad season is over, it goes to the closet. Then, I break out my 7136 with a floating Mid Spey 6/7. I can cast my 7136 most of the day with no problem. Where as casting the 7141 even with the floating MS 6/7 has me saying it is time to rest after about an hour of casting.

You might want to consider Bob Meiser's two handed switch rods for an alternative. I just got one of Bob's 5/6 two handed switch rods this week. Yesterday, I took it to the Russian River for its maiden trip.

It casted great with normal 6 weight lines. The nice surprise was its/my ability to cast my MS 6/7 with the Snake Roll. At the end of the day after hours with regular lines, I was able to Snake Roll casts within 10 to 12' of the sweet spot mark for my 7136. The rod only weighs about 6 ounces and is effortless to cast overhanded or with a Double Spey or a Snake Roll.

Give Bob a call or send him an email.

Bob Meiser who made this rod, and Fred Evans who owns one of these great rods recommend the Wind Cutter 5/6 floating line. So it may even perform better with the WC than with my MS 6/7.

You can buy this rod from Bob and a reel and floating line for about what a Sage will cost you. The Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill, the next to largest size will balance this rod perfectly.

If I can manage a trip to the Deschutes this summer, Bob's new 5/6 and my Sage 7141 will be making the trip. My Sage 7141 will stay in the closet until this fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts