Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two Sage rods, both are SOLD

SOLD DEMO 7136-4 Z-Axis complete with a Galvan R12 and Rio Skagit 550. Virtually brand new, this setup has been tried out for only one morning at an on water demo. Over $1200 new, now $815 plus shipping.

SOLD DEMO Original SLT series 5120-4 in excellent condition. Used one day on the water at a casting clinic with Bill Lowe. Otherwise perfect. $325 plus shipping.

Thanks to the buyers & Speypages

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Great buy on a great rod

PM sent on the Sage 5120-4

Regards,
FK
Fred, as you know, I own that rod and it is a great little rod.

Try the Rio AFS ST4/5F floating head with it and the 10' Rio Spey Versi Leaders in the floating and intermediate leaders.

The Rio Skagit 350 is a perfect match for this rod. It works better in my old hands with the Rio Versi 7' sinking leaders and if the water is deep enough , use the Rio Spey 10' Sinking Versi Leaders.

Rio's 5/6 WC was a flop in my unskilled hands with that rod, which is why you now own that line.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the line suggestions on the 5120-4, I have always been interested in that rod and I know you really like it.

If I remember correctly, Sage introduced the rod in 2003 and it was dropped when the Z-Axis was introduced. When it was first released, I test cast the rod with the dedicated Sage line and was not impressed.

I do have the Rio 350 Skagit and the Spey Versi Leader kit in 10ft length.

The Rio AFS head is 31ft and 300 grains, the 5/6 Windcutter is 48.5ft and 360 grains,,,,yes, the 5/6 WC is heavier for the small rod. In the early chart made by Simon, he recommends the Rio 4/5 WC at 320 grains, I have this line and will test cast for comparison.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Sage 5120 is definitely a versatile rod. I fish the Skagit setup from time to time but truly believe the Windcutter 5/6 is a great match especially when casting medium to small trout flies. I converted the full floating Windcutter into a multi-tip and it works quite well. But for larger flies and deep fishing the Skagit in the 350 gr area can throw some surprising mass. I have yet to try it for dry line steelheading but that will be very soon!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred get back to us re what works on your "New 5120"

Dave,

Thanks for the line suggestions on the 5120-4, I have always been interested in that rod and I know you really like it.

If I remember correctly, Sage introduced the rod in 2003 and it was dropped when the Z-Axis was introduced. When it was first released, I test cast the rod with the dedicated Sage line and was not impressed.

I do have the Rio 350 Skagit and the Spey Versi Leader kit in 10ft length.

The Rio AFS head is 31ft and 300 grains, the 5/6 Windcutter is 48.5ft and 360 grains,,,,yes, the 5/6 WC is heavier for the small rod. In the early chart made by Simon, he recommends the Rio 4/5 WC at 320 grains, I have this line and will test cast for comparison.

Regards,
FK
I all most didn't buy this great little rod because of the line Sage recommended for it. I wasn't the only one, who tried it at a show and shook my head and said "No Thanks!"

My PT recommended a light rod when I was recovering from my injured shoulder. I bought it from Gary Anderson and was not pleased with any of the recommended lines. The Rio Skagit 450 was recommended as that was Rio's smallest Skagit, and the rod work well with the 7' Versi Leaders and 15' Rio Steelhead leaders. The OB 10WF worked fairly well with about half a rod length of head pulled in past the rod tip.

The Rio AFS Head with the Rio Spey 10' Floating and intermediate Versi Leaders were the real wake up call for this rod and later the Rio Skagit 350 with the 7' Versi Leaders and 10' Spey Versi Sinking leaders or a couple of feet T14.

My casts with the rod work best when the head and Versi leaders combined are somewhere around 37' to 40' with both Skagit casting and touch and go AFS Head casting. Which is probably why the WC lines never really worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts