Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a chance to throw a Sage 6136-3 the other day. I also cast the #5, which is a unique rod. I preferred the #6 however. My question is, how does this rod hold up to the standard hatchery fish on the Deschutes? I've caught them on a one-hander and the fish are manageable. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you mean, the Sage 6126-3 instead of the Sage Sage 6136-3, you need to use the edit key/mode to edit your thread.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Sage

We just booked three days with John and Amy Hazel's guide service on the Deschutes in early October. My wife has never picked up a spey rod in her life. (She wants me to pack a single-handed rod, just in case). The Hazel's teach on the Sage 6126 and rent them out to their customers on the Deschutes River. Amy Hazel also refers to that rod specifically in her video.

That said, I have not cast that rod and we will be taking at least two other spey rods with us. I can't wait to go in October!

Best,
David Dornblaser

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Sage 6126-3 is my favorite Spey rod for late Spring to early winter. My favorite line is the Rio MidSpey 7/8 with tips. In very windy conditions, I use the W/C 678 with the upgrade.

The rod performs very well with the Skagit 450 and the Rio 15' tips. However, I feel that it performs better with the Skagit 450 and the Rio Powerflex Core Sinking leaders. The ones that seem to really work are the 12' , 126 grain, 7.0 ips and the 12' 96 grain 5.6 ips leader. In fact I'm keeping the 126 grain/7.0 ips on the line.

The Loop/Danielson 3W with 200 yards of backing is the perfect reel for this rod.

I haven't used it on the Deschutes, but it should work very well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grampa Spey, thanks for finding my typo. I do like the Rio brand of lines and was looking at a Ross BG#6 for a reel. I have several other Ross reels and do appreciate their excellent customer service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts