Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cast both of these rods before? I am trying to get opinions on how they cast. Are they similar rods. Looking for a smaller lighter rod for some of the smaller waters I fish. I have casted teh Meiser 11'7" 5/6/7 and enjoy it, just looking at other options as well.

Will either of these throw sink tips?

Andre

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Andre D re Sage 6125-3

Andre D said:
Has anyone cast both of these rods before? I am trying to get opinions on how they cast. Are they similar rods. Looking for a smaller lighter rod for some of the smaller waters I fish. I have casted thr Meiser 11'7" 5/6/7 and enjoy it, just looking at other options as well.

Will either of these throw sink tips?
I have only casted the 6126. It has zero problem casting the standard tips on the W/C 678 and the MS 7/8. It does a great job with the tip compensator with both lines. I use the MS with light to moderate wind and the WC with the upgrade when we have heavy winds.

Last shad season on the American with the MS 7/8, tip compensator and type 8 standard Rio 15' tip, I was getting into the zone that my son was getting into with his 9140 with about half the effort. Also, I never had to walk a shad back to the bank to grab and release it. The rod is stiff enough to bring in a 3-5 pound shad without wading back to the beach. The 6126 works for shad on the Russian where my 7141 is too much of a rod.

The 6126 does a good job with the Skagit 450. I have found that the Rio 12' Powerflex Core Sinking leaders work better with the Skagit 450 than the Rio 15' tips and my various T14 lengths. This may be do to the fact that I reinjured my right bicep and shoulder about 4 weeks ago. The Rio Powerflex 12' 7.0 ips weighs 126 grains, and does a great job of turning over light flies and barbelled and beaded flies up to size 4. The Skagit 450 lifts this "leader" out of the water very easy and shoots 3-4 rod lengths of line with minimal effort with about 2' of tippet. That reaches out 70' to 90', which is more than enough for most of the waters that you and I fish in.

Last but not least. The 6126 has a light touch with the floating MS line for dry fly work or riffle work. The Rio 15' Steelhead leaders work the best here.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
The biggest difference is the tip. The Loop has a mushy tip, IMHO. Never could dial in a line for it and sold it. The Sage has a fairly fast tip. If you like the slower rods you may like the Loop (as many apparently do) and if you prefer a fast rod you'll likely enjoy the Sage, but I'd look for a custom built one as the off the rack 6126 has too small of a bottom grip.

I don't think you'll find either of those rods to be better than the Meiser you tried. If it didn't feel special you may want to go for a longer, lighter rod like the 12'6" 4/5/6 which I feel is the finest rod in Meiser's ultralight selection and one that actually allows for long, graceful casts while remaining a true ultralight. The new Burkheimer 14' 7 weight also is a wonderfully graceful light rod. Also, Gary anderson's 13 foot 5 weight is very light and quick, having a quicker tip than the Meiser 126456 if that's your preference. I''d buy any of these before the 2 rods you're looking at.

The Meiser 11'7 is really a rod size below the Sage and Loop rods you mention, both of which are more like 7's where the Meiz is a light 6. If you want a real 7 weight you should try the Meiser 13' 5/6/7. Much better rod for the money than the Sage or Loop.

Of course this is all my opinion based on what I like a rod to feel like. You should try to cast as many rods as you can before making a purchase.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
By the way, I see you're in Northern Ca. too. If you can make it down to the American some sunday afternoon I can let you try out a couple of those Meiser sticks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
............Andre, you mentioned ''a smaller, lighter rod for smaller waters''. Exactly the rod I was looking for when I bought sight unseen a Loop Blue 7116. And I couldn't be happier! What a rod! You can easily fish out to 80 or more feet, with a Type 8 tip, or a piece of T14. I've never tried to see what the limit of its range is, because, like you, I was looking for something to fish smaller waters. It fishes just as easily at 10' to 40', and because of it's length and power, even if you're under tree branches, you can lower your rod tip and still make a great cast! It balances well with a light reel, my Van Staal 7/8 at 8.4 ozs., or the Loop/Danielsson 8/12 LW at 7.1 ozs. are perfect. I use the Loop Quattro at 575 grains, or a WC at 590 grains, they both cast well at any distance. And if you do try it on bigger waters, you might find yourself leaving the 14' rod home a little more often!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
N. California

Moose,
Since you're from Northern California, can you tell me how the Shad fishing is and where I might try. I'm from the Sacramento area, but have been in Oregon for the last 9 years. I used to fish the Sacramento, Yuba, Feather, and American rivers, but that was a long time ago. I have a sled so I'm able to move about. I'd appreciate your input.........................
Stan

The road to fly casting excellence is a never ending journey.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re Shad fishing in N California

Right now, the American and Lower Sac are very high and probably too high even for Shad Fishing from a Jet Sled. :(

I have never fished from a Sled or a Jet boat for Shad. Most seem to put in and out at Verona when the Shad are really running. Most people use a single handed rod from the boats. Meise's Switch rods should work well as they work Striper Fisher. Our Spey rods are just too long. The advantage of a Jet Boat is you can find where the shad and then beach the boat upstream and wade out to cast with the Spey Rods.

Give Moose or I or both a call when the waters go down if they ever do. If you want, I can send you links for water levels on the lower Sac and American via private message.

You might want to check out the Shad run on the Lower Umpqua. Apparently that can be very good.

Speytarded said:
Moose,
Since you're from Northern California, can you tell me how the Shad fishing is and where I might try. I'm from the Sacramento area, but have been in Oregon for the last 9 years. I used to fish the Sacramento, Yuba, Feather, and American rivers, but that was a long time ago. I have a sled so I'm able to move about. I'd appreciate your input.........................
Stan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about the American, but I have heard reports that the shad are all the way up to Los Molinos/Red Bluff. I haven't gotten a chance to head out since the water levels are so high. The color is right, just so high, wading spots are limited and using a sled is ok, nut anchoring in such high flows might pose a problem. I have heard spotty reports about fishing Road 48, very hit or miss.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moose

I take it Baja Oregon is Sacramento? I am in Chico, and appreciate the offer. I assume that you have the 13' 5/6/7 Meiser and the 11'7 5/6 Meiser's? I will shhot you a PM when it looks like I can make it. My schedule is so busy right mow, it looks like my free time might not be "free" unitl the half pounders are in???

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Gramps is right. The local rivers have been high and fast, and the shad season has been lamentable. The Yuba is falling and should be fishable, but word is that the high water has really changed the river and I have not heard anything positive as of yet. The American, my home water, has seen some decent catches from spin fishers in boats using a lot of lead, but most of the bank casting is pretty crummy. I have one friend who says he's doing pretty well in a certain spot, all things considered, and I'm hoping to hook up with him there soon, but so far things have been dismal and word is the flows on the A will remain high for several more weeks.

What really sucks is, the fall and winter steelhead season suffered from low, warm water and was the worst I've seen in many years. We anticipated the shad fishing for a long time as it is almost always very good. Now it is shot with the high flows and a bent rod has been a long time coming and still on the distant horizon :(

Such is life.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Andre D said:
Moose

I take it Baja Oregon is Sacramento? I am in Chico, and appreciate the offer. I assume that you have the 13' 5/6/7 Meiser and the 11'7 5/6 Meiser's? I will shhot you a PM when it looks like I can make it. My schedule is so busy right mow, it looks like my free time might not be "free" unitl the half pounders are in???

Yep, I'm in Sacramento. Actually I believe Baja Oregon borders the State of Jefferson, Both lying between the actual Pacific Northwest and the Hellhole that is California. There may not be anywhere to comfortably cast here until the half pounders are in anyway. Right now you make a cast and your line rockets downstream faster than you can catch it with a mend.

Weekends are best for me. I can put you on a Meiser 13' 5/6/7, 12'6" 4/5/6 and a Burkie 13'3" 6/7/8 will be arriving shortly, definitely by the time the waters recede. Drop me a line anytime!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Speytarded here is the latests Shad Report (Fish First)

Speytarded said:
Moose,
Stan

Below is the latest shad report from "Fish First":

Shad Report Lower American River There are reports of a few shad being caught. The river is dropping and their should be good numbers of shad around as flows continue to drop. Lower Sac River Sparse reports of a few shad caught around Rd. 48 and the Chico area. River is still very high and off color. When river comes down and clears (1-2 weeks) there should be good numbers of shad showing.Lower Yuba River No reports of shad caught. River is still very high and off color. River is 2-3 weeks out. Lower Feather River A few reports of shad from Gridley to the Outlet. Expect action to improve with recent warm weather.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
That report is misleading, and too often it seems those flyshop and guides reports are geared to get you hooked up and paying for a trip. The American was at nearly 30,000 cfs, dropped to about 12,000 and recently to 8,200, so yes it has dropped. What they're not telling us is that the fishable flow for the bank angler is 4,000. A drift boat guide can put you over a few productive spots at 8,200, but as a fly angler you'll still be chuckin a whole bunch of lead. Kiene's has about the most honest reports. To paraphrase, they say the river dropped some from downright dangerous to merely unfishable, try the bass and bluegill ponds. There's an honest report for you. I've sat there and watched the honey holes lately where 6 or 8 guide boats anchor up and am personally seeing what probably averages out to 3 or 4 hookups per angler. Compare that to the average June evening where I can hook into a dozen or more shad in an hour or so, I would not tell a client the fishing is good as many guides are doing. If the flow gets down anywhere below 5,000 expect things to get red hot, unless of course that doesn't come until August :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts