Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I own a nice, light two-handed fly rod from Sage - the 6126-3 European style. I originaly bought it for fishing sea trouth and small to mid size salmon in low summer rivers in my home waters in Norway. For the 04-season I used a Windcutter 6/7/8 line from Rio, but it felt too long and heavy for me for this rod; especially the rear part of the line seemd to "slow it down". Spey casting worked better than trad. overhead casting, but all in all I`m not too happy with this line. I even tried to customize the line by cutting away a few meters of the weighted rear part - this helped, but I am still not happy with it.
Maybe someone who own a rod like this can give me some hints & tips to choose a line so I am prepared for the 05-season: probably something a bit shorter and lighter than the windcutter, and that shoots line....

LK Holdhus Bergen, Norway

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
welcome to the Board

You can find a lot of information on this rod, using the search fnction on this site.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Sage 6126-3

Holdhus said:
Hi!
I own a nice, light two-handed fly rod from Sage - the 6126-3 European style. I originaly bought it for fishing sea trouth and small to mid size salmon in low summer rivers in my home waters in Norway. For the 04-season I used a Windcutter 6/7/8 line from Rio, but it felt too long and heavy for me for this rod; especially the rear part of the line seemd to "slow it down". Spey casting worked better than trad. overhead casting, but all in all I`m not too happy with this line. I even tried to customize the line by cutting away a few meters of the weighted rear part - this helped, but I am still not happy with it.
Maybe someone who own a rod like this can give me some hints & tips to choose a line so I am prepared for the 05-season: probably something a bit shorter and lighter than the windcutter, and that shoots line....

LK Holdhus Bergen, Norway
I bought a Sage 6126-3 in May of last year. It is my favorite spey rod and my #1 rod for late spring to late fall in N. California and S. Oregon.

My favorite line with this rod is the Rio Mid Spey 7/8 with tips. It is now my favorite Shad rod and line with the tip compensator and a sinking tip using Double Spey and Snake rolls.

I use the Wind Cutter 678 with the upgrade if it is windy. Again, if I'm fishing deep, I use the Tip Compensator and a 15' Rio sinking tip.

For overhead casting and underhand casting, use the WC 678 with tips one and two removed and the tips attached to the head.

The rod performs well on the surf with over head casts with the SA Intermediate Striped Bass wf- 10S line. Just bring about 3-6' of head into the rod to lift the line and shoot it on the front cast. With the Rio Stripper, 350 grain DC head, I have to have the head 6' in the rod, roll cast to set up the cast, do a back cast a false cast forward and another backcast while letting out the head. Then it shoots out like a rocket on the forward cast. The 6126 is more than enough rod for our surf perch and about half as tiring as other surf rods and bigger two handed rods.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jerry Seims told me that the rod was developed with a 9wt. steelhead taper, so I would try that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Shooting head for Sage 6126-3

I'v been using a (way) cut back Guideline 8/9 shooting head on this rod. The head is cut back to a 24 gram head and works realy well on this rod. I use a fairly light (25-30 lbs) flat beam floating running line behind the head and I use this combination for dry fly steelhead fishing and seatrout fishing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sage612-3

As you already know about this rod, it is not made for a long distant casting (100 ft+) or heavy sinking tip. I love that rod with SA # 8 steelhead line- long belly-65 ft head WF. I have tried #9 that I felt, a little heavy.

·
loco alto!
3,051 Posts
J. Lee,

was the #9 line you tried a long belly taper as well, or a shorter WF head? I am looking for a blank to toss a shorter WF9 line overhead, with authority.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Steve

I have tried #7,8 and 9 SA steelhead line many times. The steelhead taper has 65ft head that is longer than windcutter or short head spey line. I found #9 steelhead taper a little heavier for the rod especially when I speycast 80ft+ with 6126. The only spey rod I do overhead casting with is GLX 8/9 11.6. All day overhead casting with a heavy spey rod is very fatiguing. I have made uplocking reel seat to downlocking to use lighter reel-6 oz for GLX 8/9 11.6. This rod will overheadcast #9 steelhead taper 100ft+ with ease. I believe #9 WF or 9/10 spey line is much better than #8 WF or 8/9 spey line when you fish for salmonoids in the rivers unless you are absolutely sure it would be windless. I always prefer the longer belly( head) line because there is always physical limitation in throwing line out with a short head especially in fast water-If you can handle or aerate 70 ft line, casting 90ft will be easy with proper forward stroke, but if you can only handle 50', casting 90' can be a difficult matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts