Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which cast best ? and what wt. outbound line ? will the outbound perform like a skagit line. i know that rio doesn't make a skagit this light. i am thinkin of fishin tailwater for trout. any help for a newbie!!!!
thanks bill

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do a search of member Grampa Spey's posts. He has that rod, and some others, that he uses various Outbounds and Skagits on, as well as more traditional Spey lines.

Tom

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
re Sage 5120

pcknshvl said:
Do a search of member Grampa Spey's posts. He has that rod, and some others, that he uses various Outbounds and Skagits on, as well as more traditional Spey lines.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I sent Billy Spey a private message re this great little rod.

The best line so far is the Rio Outbound WF 10 Floater. The 5120 works well with the Mid Spey 6/7 and even the 7/8, the WC 678 and the Skagit 450. The Rio OB WF 10F basically does what all the other lines does by itself. It easily handles the three basic Skagit casts with 15' leader and a floating fly or an intermediate or a 7' or 12' Rio Sinking leaders with heavier flies. Sometimes I have to pull the head in past the rod tip to mid length or a little more to cast the sinking leaders.

I'm very pleased with my limited abilities with the OBs with the 5120 and 6126. When experienced casters like Bob Pauli and Simon use the OBs with these rods, the performance borders on the :Eyecrazy: WOW!. Of course these two gentlemen :hihi: could probably cast sewing thread with a broomstick farther than most of us can with balanced gear.

The OB lines need to be stretched out before using them, and in particuliar the green running line section. I still have to remove coils during the day when I use these lines from the green running/shooting section.

The Rio WC 5/6 was a failure in my old inexperienced hands. The Sage line for this rod was so bad, I didn't buy the rod after trying it at the Marin show for close to two years:mad: . Neither line loaded the rod, nor did the OB WF 8F. I tried various WCer sizes without tip 2, and my performance was not good.

Finally, as Ed Ward has noted, these so called trout rods are not wimp or woosie rods. They are probably equivalent to 7-8 weight one handed rods. You can feel a 2# fish and have fun, and bring in bigger fish. I had one very large Large Mouth Bass kick my butt with this rod this summer. Things were going well until he got into about 15' from me and saw me. Then it was like trying to control a pit bull with fins. He got into some reeds and tore my gummy minnow out of his mouth. He did a catch and release on me. The farm owner and fellow fisher's estimate was the bass was somewhere from 8 to 10#'s. The rest of the fish caught were brought in with no problem re my goal of 1 minute per pound to avoid lactic acid build up in the fish.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grampa spey thanks !!

i had tryed this rod with sage line at spey casting event here in tennessee. my first experence with a 2 hand rod and did not like it. i thank for your in put . sage is closing these out i have a chance to buy at a great savings. i going to give it a try with your advice on line and leaders.i will report back with my findings. again thanks for your responce bill

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Billyspey, Let us know how it works.

billyspey said:
i had tryed this rod with sage line at spey casting event here in tennessee. my first experence with a 2 hand rod and did not like it. i thank for your in put . sage is closing these out i have a chance to buy at a great savings. i going to give it a try with your advice on line and leaders.i will report back with my findings. again thanks for your responce bill
Let us know how it works.

One warning re these so called trout rods. If you get one and the right OB line, it can spoil you re the ease of casting.

Last evening Bill Malin and I were on our local river on our weekly evening river casting where we take a rod or two for casting and borrow another person's. The past few weeks, I have used my 5120 or Sage 6126-3 or my Meiser 5/6 rods. They are balanced with the OB WF 10F and 11F, and they are basically effortless to Skagit Cast with or regular spey cast with.

Last night I took my Sage TCR 9129-4 with a the Carron 9/10 Jetstream to try my fly for the evening hatch, the Cheeto fly. The fly was a little to big and airy for even the 9 weight TCR. I went to a smaller Carp fly. It took me about an hour to even cast the 65' head and a leader. Finally in the last 30 minutes or so I was able to double Spey the head, leader and shoot a couple of rod lengths of line. Bill tried this combo and agreed that it was a lot of work to cast basically the same distance as we can with our so called trout Spey rods with about 3-4 times the effort with regular Spey casts with the TCR.

My old damaged shoulder, bicep head, bicep and rotator cuff is a :mad: little stiff and sore this morning. So I will tie some small evening hatch Cheeto flies and use my 5120 or 6126 next Thursday. If the Sage 6126-3 is on sale, you might consider buying one to go with your 5120. Then, you would have two great rods that would handle any trout, bass, small mouth bass and most steelhead from where you live to N California and SW Oregon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sage 6126

the 5120 was the only spey my local shop had.i was thinkin of a 6126 before, i know a dealer 200 miles away that has one in stock. i will keep an eye out , i was told that sage is going to revamp, green blank rods and the 5120. this includes single hand and two hand rods. my dealer has cast the new xp replacement; and says the new was lighter and a bit softer. now this was parking lot cast not on water. i have bought many that cast good in the parking lot ,but did not fish good. i have a few of those in the garage .i need to sell. i do not think any company makes bad rods. like shoes some just feel better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts