Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am interested in trying this rod for trout in big waters.

What can anyone tell me about the action, line recomendations, other rods I should consider.

This is definetly a specialty rod and none of the shops here have them in stock so I wanted to get some feedback before I spend a bunch of time trying to find one to test.

Thanks
Have a great day

·
Registered
378 Posts
Technofish,

the 5120 is a great little stick for trout. You may find it just a tad bit light for some of your larger Bow fish. Another option would be the CND expert 6/7 which we sell as more of a 5/6. This rod is similar in action(pretty soft) to the 5120 but has a bit more backbone which would be perfect for your larger Bow fish. As well the CND is half the price of the SAGE. As for a line for the 5120 I would suggest the line that Sage makes for it for dry line work and a Rio Windcutter 5/6 for tips. I have to qualify this advice as I have never fished the Bow, however most of the speys that we sell in Calgary seem to lean toward the heavier side(7 and 8 weights).

Brian Niska

·
Banned
103 Posts
I'm building a 10' 5/6 T & T Horizon with two-hand custom grips for the exact purpose you state. Had I not gone with this rod, I would have gotten a similar model (S2H10656) from Bob Meiser; see his website (www.meiserflyrods.com) for details.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased a 5120 last spring and used it extensively last summer, both for grayling in the Northern Yukon and for rainbows in the Cariboo with a Windcutter 5/6 on a Hardy St John. I like the rod, it is soft traditional action and easy to cast. It is also easy to overpower when you are casting, so it makes you work on your timing. It does handle up to 3 lb rainbows ( probably bigger) without much problem. It is a fun rod for smaller fish, you really know they are there.
If you need a rod to control larger trout in a hurry, or to use sink tips a lot, it may be a bit light. I think the Loop 7116 or one of the rods mentioned above might be better.

Jim

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have fished the Sage 5120 a fair amount. Very nice rod and tons of fun for trout and small steelhead (4-6 pounds and a long way from the ocean). If you use the butt to fight fish it should handle the Bow's hogs. I feel that the Sage line overloads the rod and prefer the Rio Windcutter in the 5/6. I have also had fun with the 6/7/8 windcutter with the 2nd tip removed. This gives you a 39' or so shooting head. The rod will handle fairly large flies but I wouldn't try to chuck heavily weighted flies. I mostly use mine for swinging soft hackles and unweighted streamers for trout. Lots of fun.

Greg

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
T&T also makes the 1206, which is a fine faster action 5/6 2-hander that is 12 ft long. Meiser also makes several other very nice 2-hand trout rods, for instance a 13 ft for 5/6. G.Loomis has the new for this year Metolious 13'4" for 5/6 as well.

As you can see, there is a good selection of 12 to 13 ft rods in the 5/6/7 range available that will do exactly what you are looking for today.

·
Registered
208 Posts
trout spey

I am a big fan of SAGE, but do not buy the 5120 (it is not a 5 weight). I too have wanted a true trout spey for some time. I have been involved with Gary Anderson and Bob Meiser developing new smaller speys which have resulted in four new 13'3" rods from 6 thru 9, and they are awesome but not quite trouty. However, today I cast a brand new rod from Meiser, 11' 7", could be extended says Bob, and it was fabulous. This is the first blank of this model Meiser has built. I measured it with the CC method and it takes 60 cents to fully load with an action angle of 72, very fast and progressive. This equates to 340 grains of spey head which is slightly less than the Windcutter 5/6. Spey lines for this size rod are not in production but I have some tricks.

Gary Anderson has a 13 foot 4 weight spey that likes 310 grains of head weight and it is a dream. It is also fast and progressive. Only 3 have been built and we few, treasure them.

You will hate yourself if you do not check out these new cutting edge trout spey rods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow,
Thanks for all the great advice/opinions. I really appreciate it.
I had a chance to try the g loomis metolius mentioned above and it is a very nice rid, definetly a faster action than the what the Sage sounds like.

I am hoping to swing soft hackles but would like to be able to add a heavier tip for getting streamers down. So is it everyones opinion then that I should go for something a little more stout thant the 5120?

You guys have got me interested in the meiser rods. Where can I go to try one in/around Calgary? I know there are a couple of others using spey rods on the Bow, but we are few. I appreciate most of the Speys sold out here are 7,8, and 9 but I assume most of those are for trips to the ever calling BC steelhead country.

Thanks again,
Have a great day

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is definitely not my opinion that you should discount the 5120. As I said earlier, it is a traditional action rod ( I would not agree that is is not a 5 wt) that casts nicely with a 5/6 Windcutter.

It is a light, gentle rod and in the opinion of others more skilled than I at spey casting, it may be too light and there are other newer rods that may be better, I can't really comment on their opinions. If you want a light trout spey rod, I think it is fine.

I would buy another one if I lost this one.

Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drys and some streamers. I have worked it somewhat with a polyleader, but have not cut back the Windcutter for tips

Jim

·
Registered
378 Posts
SPG, if the Sage 5120 is not in your view a true 5 what weight would you call it?I am curious what lines you have tried on it? I am also wondering about the 13' 4 weight . If it is a true 4 I would have guessed it to be incredibly whippy not fast and progressive like you say. What line do you put on it and have you ever tried it with a tip of any kind?
Brian

·
Registered
208 Posts
Brian. My experience with the 5120 was at the Sandy Spey Cave last spring. Friends and I attended the entire weekend and played with the 5120 a lot. We started out with the Sage line that is made for this rod. The head weight on the Sage line is 500 grains which is more suited for a 7-8 spey rod and tells you right away that there is a problem. We had a large selection of lines at the clave to try and we did. We tried many windcutters mid speys and the Airflos. The best line we thought was the Airflo Bankmaster 7/8, a long bellied delta taper for single handed rods. However we did not find a line that really worked well on the rod and many others at the clave had similar feelings. When you get your hands on a really good spey rod and the right line for your casting stroke the performance is effortless. We could not achieve this with the 5120 and I have cast other speys that have this magical feel. Since I have a 11 single hand Sage rods and a 7136 Sage spey, I can tell you that I like Sage products, just not the 5120.

The Anderson 13' 4 weight is not wimpy because like the Meiser 5 spey has a very progressive action. Created thru taper and/or the use of ultra high modulous graphite which is critical in the design of small speys as it creates a fast action )(70-72 degrees action angle). Without a fast action progressive rod you would have a wimpy noodle with a very narrow power range and it would not be friendly to cast. Lighter line weight rods are much more difficult to create that are easy to cast. The 2 spey rods that I have mentioned are delightful, even magical, to cast and fish. I have seen nothing else in these sizes that come close. I have not fished The Meiser rod with tips but the Anderson 4 handles short tips (up to 9') well. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
TechnoFish

Do yourself a favor and contact Bob Meiser and see if you can try one of his 10'6" Two Handed Switch rods in the 5/6 category.

Use this rod with a Wind Cutter 5/6 floating line, and you will have a trout rod that you can use in a boat, canoe, pontoon boat, from the shore or wading. You can roll cast it, overhead cast it and do Spey casts with it. You can parachute cast a small dry or lob an indicator with a weighted nymph 60 to 70 feet up stream or across the river and have immediate control. It is a dream to double spey or snake roll a fly.

Like all of Bob's switch rods, when you hook a fish, you can turn the rod parallel and sideways and really lean into the fish. That means you get the fish in faster and do less harm to the fish while getting it in for the release.

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
No, try the 11'4" and 11'6"

No, call Bob and ask to try the 5wt in 11'4" 4pc and 11'6" 3pc. Forget the Sage!

The 4pc is sweet, and 4pc is convenient .
But if you're like me, you'd fall in love with the 11'6" 3pc instantly, and decide to buy both!

Use a 5/6 WindCutter on both.

Really, performance and aesthetics aside, just look at their prices, forget the Sage.

·
Spey Apprentice
25 Posts
so if the 5120-4 is not a "true" #5Wt. what floating lines do you gents find work, that doesn't slow the action down? as i'm interested in this rod as a "Trouter" as well and i'm not looking for a #6Wt line class..

·
Registered
545 Posts
SMR, the 5120 IS a 5 wt. The windcutter 5\6 is great on the rod and the packages makes for a great "trouter". I agree that the 500 some odd grain Sage line overloads the rod and is better suited for the 6126. I am not sure why folks have a problem with this set up for it seems VERY easy and fun to fish. It might be because it is so different then the other rods in Sage's traditional line but if you try the new 8136 (also a fine rod) it has a very simular action, not even remotely close to say a 7136. It is oranges and apples. The important thing is to try them yourself and see what you like. Myself, I like to cast ALL types of rods, from the old Sage brownie 9140 (slow and even slower yet..this B&W hexy thingy 12'7 wt that my friend Kelly has. You can finish your sandwich waiting for it to unload) to the fastest rods made (T&T, Scott A2's and such). i like it because you have to learn alot of different styles to cast this wide range of rods and it is all fun and really all has its place on the river. I think alot of time you get people who prefer quick rods and say that anything else is ****e and visa-versa so it can get confusing when asking for opinions on rods. None the less, the 5120 is a 5 wt. and a fun "trouter".

Greg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Please do not forget that, there is a cast called the single handed spey which, with a bit of practice can shoot a lot of line. The added advantage of spey casting with a single handed rod is that you can also haul the line for added power.

While, not a true spey cast, as all the power and angle of the cast is driven and directed by the one hand, it does have similar mechanics. For this reason I have never had the need for a trout spey rod. Often there are only a few spey casts required to get past an obstacle to the rear of the caster, after which the angler can carry on overhead casting in the traditional manner.

The only advantage I can see to a trout spey caster is the ease of the cast which would eliminate the casting fatigue(to some extent) of an all day fishing session. My advice, if you get tired, rest the water(and watch it) for a while and collect your thoughts.:rolleyes:

·
Spey Apprentice
25 Posts
GPearson said:
SMR, the 5120 IS a 5 wt. The windcutter 5\6 is great on the rod and the packages makes for a great "trouter". I agree that the 500 some odd grain Sage line overloads the rod and is better suited for the 6126. None the less, the 5120 is a 5 wt. and a fun "trouter".

Greg
ok bear with me here , i'm new to all this..

so the 5120-4 , works better with Rio's Windcutter 5/6 floating line?

and Sage's 6126-3 works better with Sage's own custom designed #5wt Spey line ?

have i been paying attention?? LOL :hehe:

·
Banned
161 Posts
The 5120 works very well with the new (green/yellow) Windcutter 5/6. It will even handle some tips.

I like the Windcutter 6/7/8 on the 6126-3. Just a personal preference.

To Gary W's point, while spey casting is really cool, I cannot find too many situations that work really well for rainbows. I can see swinging for sea-runs and the like, but for nymphing and such, a single hand spey cast works great and leaves your offhand for line management duties.

2 cents,

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts