Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think ot the 5120. How does it compare to Meiser's S2H116?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Having used both rods ...

(And keeping in mind that Bob's a good friend) I'd describe the two rods as thus:

The 512 is a 'noodle,' the Meiser rod is a grand fishing tool that costs considerably less. Now all that aside: Given the choice between the rods, I've not met anyone whose used the two side by side that didn't prefer Meiz's 'stick.'

Better action, better fit/finish, and a whole lot better price.

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the response I figured I'd get. I hear nothing but good things about Meiser's rods. I don't know anyone who has one, mostly because all the guys I talk with work at my friends flyshop, so they get the "popular" rods cheap. I guess it's time to give Meiser a call.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You won't be disapointed

and if you really work at it you might end up with half the Meiser rods Fred has. I am looking at a trout/light steelhead rod next, probably a switch rod.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You will not go wrong with the Meiser Fred suggested. It is a very nice casting and fishing rod with a faster action than the Sage, which is also a very nice, but slower and more expensive, rod. I consider the Sage to be a rod for trout fishing and the Meiser a rod for small steelhead because it has a bit more power than the Sage.

You might also want to take a look at the T&T 1208 or the new T&T 1206, the G. Loomis 13'4" 5/6 Streamdancer, or the CND Expert 1306. Meiser's rods are very nice with cosmetics that are in a word superb.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, actually not true.

t_richerzhagen said:
and if you really work at it you might end up with half the Meiser rods Fred has. I am looking at a trout/light steelhead rod next, probably a switch rod.
Only have a couple of Bob's rods, but have had the privledge of useing several extensively here on the Rogue. At best, I'd discribe my casting ability as 'average +, which means I'm fishing, not looking for class action on the water.

The common thread I've found in all the rods of Bob's is they're built for fishermen working water. None beat you to death over a days casting, all allow for extreamly good mending/line control, etc., and etc.

My kind of tools.

·
Registered
194 Posts
And don't the Meisers come with an extra tip section in case you break one? Another value add.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fred's Closet

keeps reproducing rods. Since Meiser rods are the latest line, I just naturally assumed it would blossom and have many progeny.

DLoop - they do come with an extra tip, primarily for the fly in or other inaccessible situations. A hot fish at the beach and a bulky connection between leader and line that catches in the to guide will require a new tip to continue.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Don't have a 'grab' on which/how many ..

But Bob's sending up a few of his rods with Joan and I to the Kaufman 'Clave President's Day weekend. The rods won't be "for sale" as they'll be his future 'demo rods.'

But if you find 'something' you like, I'm sure Meiz would be please to appease your lusts.
:D

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
and how does it compare to Meiser's S2H116?

The initial question was about the 5120 and how it compare to one of Meiser's rods. So, I don't think we have gone too far off course talking about rods that are in the same category as the 5120. There was a LONG past thread almost exclusively on the 5120. If someone is going to buy a 5120 shouldn't we also share some good alternatives?:D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts