Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This is the first time i've posted on this site so hi to everyone.
Anyway,I have recently purchased the above Sage as a summer light line rod. I can't praise it enough, but that is due to candid advice from a direct email to Sage re line size.

I bought a Rio 7# spey line blind thinking it was the line for the rod but I had difficulties - the line felt 'gutless'. The guy at Sage advised a Windcutter 8/9/10# and it brings the rod alive. If anyone out there hasn't tried the combination, please try.Incidentally, I have recycled the 7# for my sea trout rod so I am still a happy bunny!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
McC, welcome to our side of the Pond.

You'll recognize a considerable number of folks here who also post to the UK ff board. Interesting you should ask/comment on this specific rod. Had a e mail on just this rod this afternoon.

Only used the rod once (well over a year ago) so no position to comment back. Will cut your post and send it off as an e mail attachment.
fae

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fred,

Yes, I recognize several people including yourself! Anyway, I'm glad that my comment might help

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Oh oh ... I think my cover was just ..

blown. Will have to watch what I say now in both areas.
:devil:

Good to have you with us; lots of great postings come from the UK, Scotland, et. al.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
MrCrabtree re the Sage 7141

You didn't tell us which Rio 7 weight line you bought.

I have this rod, and it is a great rod. For me the Rio Mid Spey 7/8 with the tips is the line for the 7141. The Mid Spey 6/7 floater didn't load it properly nor did the WC 678 with tips.

Having said that, the 7141 and reel is just too heavy for me re Summer fish here in N. California and S. Oregon. I have gone back to my 7136 with the floating 6/7 Mid Spey for Summer and early fall.

The 7136 in my rookie hands is worthless in heavy water with the sinking tips. The 7141 actually works better with sinking tips for me than with the floating tip. It rips the tips right out of the water and seems to be built for casting heavy tips in heavy late fall/winter waters.

Our local Sage rep who could have any Sage rod to fish with feels the 7141 is the best rod for late fall and winter steelhead in N. California and S. Oregon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GrampaSpey,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The Rio 7# was a 7/8 MidSpey WITHOUT the tips. That must be the difference somehow with your own line - (can't think why though). The Sage guy said he had tried the MidSpey & Accellerator lines in all different line weights but found the Windcutter 8/9/10 the one to use.

I have not tried the Accelerator, but I would stand by my own reccomendation having tried both the Midspey & the Windcutter versions.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sage 7141

Mr. Crabtree,
Your first post described your rod as a 7/8 from Sage. The postings made in reply to your initial comments assumed or stated your rod is what in the US is sold as a 7141.

My friends who fish the 7141 and the spey "gurus" at San Francisco's Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club all consider the rod to be at least an 8-weight or more in the sense of loading with a WC7.8.9 or WC8.9.10. The 7141s are not all alike, and some will cast a WC9.10.11. By casting I mean throw the entire line with a switch cast.

The 7141 is definitely a keeper. Good luck!

Bob

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
MrCrabtree

It is very obvious that the same Rio line or whatever line will have a difference repsonse in the hands of different users.

Simon just sent me the Grandspey 7/8 floating line to try. I will be trying it for a couple of weeks. On different rivers.

If it out performs my MidSpey 7/8 with tips with the floating tip, I will buy it unless it wears me out casting it.

My MidSpey 6/7 floating line was only fair with my 7141, and the MS7/8 with the floating tip is excellent.

This is why FlyFish USA's new rent a spey line to try may be a great investment.

Bob Meiser recently built and sold me one of his new 5/6 two handed 10'6" switch rods. It casted good with the Mid Spey 6/7 floater and fair with the WC 678 with floating and intermediate tips.

Bob had recommended the WC 5/6 floating line, and I bought one. For me it is a perfect balance with the rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My UK version is most definitely a 7141 7#. I've just fished the North Tyne & because of a lack of water (drought here in the UK) I used my time practising my single & double spey. I'm no expert & couldn't dream of throwing an entire line, but I managed to get the windcutter close to the backing. Only problem, I was having to shoot far too much line which occassionally tangled.

Anyway, I think we are all agreed the rod is a fine one & most definately a keeper Bob!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts