Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the Sage 12'6 for 8wt euro rod? I am considering this rod for saltwater fishing and wondered if it would take a 10wt line. Most Sage rods are underrated by at least one or two line sizes.
FishHawk:smokin:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Fishhawk -

It will take a 10wt line IMHO. These rods are rated for very long lengths of line in the air, the euro casting styles demand it. If you are using typical SW tapers and shooting a lot of running line a 10wt is a good match.

Still you should try before you buy. Maybe I can get one to bring to the casting clave? I'll see.

Juro

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hello Juro,

If the Euro casting styles are known for anything, it is not for keeping long lenghts of line in the air.
The reason for the under rating must be something else. Wonder what?

Per

PS. I like the old brown 12'4" #8 a lot. That copes with short 11 weight heads, as well. In a way it is like a smaller brother to the T&T 12/12 - a rather tough rod that fights big fish better than grilse due to the hard butt. Is the new design much different?DS

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Per - thanks for your reply.

I'll defer to your judgement completely; I am only going with rumors I've heard that the Euro style two-handers were designed primarily for overhead casting with two hands whereby very long lines are aerialized. I've watched flyfishing shows and read magazines that provided evidence to support this, so I believed the rumors were true. I should've asked Kevin Thompson while chatting at the Sage booth recently, but I was too busy admiring the new 7136 and digging that 5pc 8wt RPLXi at the casting pool (su-weet).

Judging by your response, Euro/style twohanded casting is not overhand casting long lines, and any and all clarifications would be much appreciated. That's one of the benefits of the Spey pages, to be able to get the inside scoop from people like you!

Fishawk is looking for a two-handed overhead casting tool that will reach over large surf, throw big saltwater lines, and be easy to strip retrieve big flies sometimes right to the "knot". I've played around with two-handers in the salt for about 6 years now on Cape Cod and find that there is a niche where they excel but are far from being all-around devices for the task. We've built a prototype rod based on the 8124-3 (which I think is the same one you like) and it can toss a 12wt WF intermediate line. I hope to finish this rod soon, since I am getting into rod building :rolleyes:

Besides I haven't lived in Europe for over 30 years and I was much too young to handle a two-hander back then ;)

Any clarification of what Euro style rods really are would be much appreciated!

Thanks Per,

Juro

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Juro,

Fine that you took my remark from the right angle. I have thought a bit more on this and now am uncertain....

When Loop became the Scandinavian agent for Sage, Göran Andersson became involved in the design of their first serious doublehanded rods.

Göran who, aside from being a superlative angler, also is deep within the Casting fraternity. He must have experimented with tailored shootingheads ever since the 60's. His Underhand cast developed over a series of year and was fine tuned when he met Sage in the early -80's.

The Euro rods became rather fast, suited for the short strokes and explosive delivery the Underhand cast aims to achive.(The first was a unique 14' - 16' combo with a serious 6.5' butt for the 16'. That 16' might have been one of the best casting rods ever made, but it was too awkward to transport and quickly died...)

Maybe the rating of these rods indeed was made with overhead casts in mind. Back then 95% of the fishing here was precisely that. (Even in the UK the speycasting was in recession. I have read Trout&Salmon since 1970 and saw little on this topic until the late 80's when Michael Evans, for one, started to wake the sleeping beauty up)

Will we ever know..?

Per

1 - 5 of 5 Posts