Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if a Hardy SA System 8 Fly Reel is an adequate reel for Steelhead, and maybe Coho's. I'm using an 8wt. Ambush line on it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I agree with 808. Yes, the System 8 is a good choice reel for steelhead and coho fishing with a single hand rod. You'd need a System 10 for a lighter two-handed rod IMO.

Sg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can someone tell me if a Hardy SA System 8 Fly Reel is an adequate reel for Steelhead, and maybe Coho's. I'm using an 8wt. Ambush line on it.
Definitely good for single handers. An 8 or 9wt line.

The old System reels were Hardy reels. (as opposed to the system 1 and system 2 reels). However there were two versions of the Marquis (with the dual pawls, and the other was similar to the Viscount with the circular spring and a single pawl.

Both are nice, but the dual pawl is a much nicer design. I like the exposed rim on these reels. They are definitely workhorse reels.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
So what did you decide?? Gonna put that SA 8 to work for steel and coho?? That reel sure sounds nice with a hot steelhead melting line off of it!!

Todd

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David1123

Does anyone think a SA System 8 fly reel with a 8wt. Wulff Ambush line would work well with a Meiser 11' 4/5 switch rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Agree on both counts.

I agree with 808. Yes, the System 8 is a good choice reel for steelhead and coho fishing with a single hand rod. You'd need a System 10 for a lighter two-handed rod IMO.

Sg
2hander lines suck up a lot of space so a 'big reel!!' is needed.

fae

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Does anyone think a SA System 8 fly reel with a 8wt. Wulff Ambush line would work well with a Meiser 11' 4/5 switch rod.
Yes, I think so. In the first photo I posted above, the SA 8 is loaded with the 8wt Ambush with 20lb backing. That particular fish was very hot, ran almost all the way to the other side of the river. You can get a bit more capacity on that reel if you buy 8wt Ambush head and use thin running line like slickshooter. I have that reel on an old glass rod single hander but don't see why it wouldn't work on a light switch.

Todd

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David1123

I also have a SA System 9 fly reel. Do you think maybe that would be a better choice. I also have a Hardy Marquis Salmon one, but I think its too heavy.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I also have a SA System 9 fly reel. Do you think maybe that would be a better choice. I also have a Hardy Marquis Salmon one, but I think its too heavy.
didn't know you also had the system 9. Yes it would be a better fit for what you are doing with the 8wt Ambush and switch. I also own one and it is better suited with the 8wt Ambush. Great reels.

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts