Spey Pages banner

SA Sjort Spey vs Loop Multi DH

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  fredtrout 
#1 ·
Anyone who´ve tried these lines?

Looking for a shorter belly for tight spots. Found out this weekend that the belly length is more critical when fishing tight spots than rod length. Was using my 15´B&W without any problems but found myself wishing I had a shorter belly in the worst places. I don´t think the WC works too well with the mid section taken out. For situations where you often cast without the whole head outside the top ring I prefer WF lines over shooting heads, since the loop connection always tends too snag a bit, no matter how smooth you make it.

So, SA or Loop. Maybe there are other short spey lines that are equally good?:confused:

#3 ·
courtesy of sean.......

Hardy Mach 1 Specs
It took me a while to find these so I thought I would post em for all to see. These are for the full floating versions but I think all the different sinking versions carry these same specs.

WF 8/9 12 meters (~39ft) 21 grams (324 grains)
WF 9/10 14.5 meters (~47.5ft) 30 grams (463 grains)
WF 10/11 15.9 meters (~52 feet) 42 grams (648 grains)

-sean

they sound light, don't they?

a search should turn up the few threads with info on the mach 1 kicking around here.

#4 ·
That means the Mach is ruled out for me, since I need a 10/11 line, and the Mach 10/11 is too long. But it´s a good idea that the 8/9 belly is shorter than the 10/11 belly. It´s stange that most manufacturers keep the same belly length regardless of line weight - surely you´ll want a longer belly for your 10/11 16 footer than your 8/9 12 footer? Might try a 8/9 Mach if I ever buy a 12 or 13 footer.

I haven´t found the belly lenght/weight for the SA short spey. Anybody got that?

The Loop Multi 10/11 is 13 meters/36 grams, if I remember right. Might just work.

#5 · (Edited)
This is what I have for the SA Lines

SA Spey Short Head

6/7 47ft. head 332 grains
7/8 49ft.head 400 grains
8/9 51ft. head 466 grains
9/10 53ft. head 531 grains
10/11 55ft.head 595 grain

Sorry

:tsk_tsk:This are the wrong weights going down a couple post for the right numbers!
Sorry

#6 ·
Fredtrout,

Windcutters work excellent with midbelly out. You need to step up your line size. For example on my 8 weight rods( CND 8/9 custom, Sage 9140) I use a 9/10/11 it casts like a champ with
rio 15 ft. type 8 sink tips. I have the SA shorthead also and it is awsome. It has a very positive turn over and shoots wonderfully.

Kevin

#7 ·
Thanks, Brian! Seems like I should go with the Loop, since the head length of the Short Spey is too close to my WC... Seems like a very nice line, though!

Kevin: The reason why I think the WC doesn´t work that well without the mid section is simply because it gets too light and won´t load the rod properly, which is essential when fishing tight spots. On a lighter rod it would work but it seems easier to bring along an extra spool with a different line than bringing another rod that will match the WC sans mid section, don´t you think :)

When, oh when, will Rio put out a short head WF? Any thoughts, Simon?? :D

Oh, well, might just get the Rio scandi head for my B&W too. Was planning to but suddenly my budget ran a bit tight... Not a good idea to go back to university when you have a family, folks! :tsk_tsk: I got a scandi head for my 14 footer and that´s awesome! But I love my B&W 15 footer so much that I want to be able to use it as much as possible...

#8 · (Edited)
this is the info i dug up with searches. i need to know whats what here. have 7/8 short head on the way. if its 400 grns it will be to light. if anyone can confirm either info it will be a big help. thanks, SG

Mastery Short and Mid head spey weights
Short Mid
Head length Head length Wt. in grains grams
6/7 48 ft. 60 ft. 450 29.2
7/8 50 ft. 60 ft. 550 35.6
8/9 52 ft. 65 ft. 650 42.1
9/10 54 ft. 65 ft. 750 48.6
10/11 56 ft. 70 ft. 850 55.1

kevin, what SA short head are you using? i have been playing with WC 9/10/11 as well, with tip 1 removed for 540 grns as well as tip 2 removed for 500 grns. i found the heavier combo felt better to me and was liking the idea of 550 in a little longer head. now i'm baffled.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Shotgunner...

It is my understanding that the 7/8 Spey Short Head will weigh 550 grns. If I remember right the lines (Short Head & Mid Head) weigh the same for a given weight rating although they have different head lengths.
I have the weight info for the Spey Short heads posted on my SA spey line page. It seems to agree closely with what you've posted. I'm getting a little senile but I think my info came from SA.

#13 ·
Fredtrout,

Your windcutter you have now is to light to take the midbelly out. That is why a gave the example of my rods. You need to go up 1-2 line weights to use it with the midbelly out. With this set up you will not need another spool. You can cast this in close or 80'+. I prefer 13'-14' rods with heads under 40'.

Kevin

#14 ·
Yeah, I see, but the WC´s are a bit pricey over here so I won´t buy a 11-13 only to be used with the mid section taken out. For example, the Loop multi is about half the price. :)

Btw, can anyone recommend a web shop in North America where I can get a sink tip compensator? The Scandinavian dealer is totally hopeless; have been waiting for two months for that damn thing. (Or maybe it´s my tackle shop that keeps forgetting to order it!) Our departure date for Norway is creeping closer and I desperately need the compensator in case we get lots of rain and a high and dirty river. I got the 10-12 WC and Simon recommended I get a #12 compensator to go with that.

#16 ·
Yeah, yesterday I started tinkering with a few old DT:s that I had stashed away. I didn´t have time finish it yesterday but it consists of a DT12F as the thick belly and a DT10F as the level part and front taper. I spliced the DT12 part to get a nice rear taper. Will splice this to a running line and see how it works. I need to arrive at something like 35-37 grams and 12-13 meters.

Forgotten how fun it is to mess with old DT:s! This time I used Fireline to sow it and it´s amazing how few stitches it takes to make the splice secure. Many times the thrill vanishes pretty quickly when you cast your *creations* under real circumstances but then again you might just get it totally right.

How about that compensator? Does River Run Anglers or any other forum participator have it in stock?

#18 ·
fredtrout

as does Mark (The Flyfishing Shop) and Mike (Red Shed). All three are board sponsors and good people to deal with. You can't go wrong with any of them. Send them a message and find out what it will cost to get the comp. you need.

#19 ·
Thanks guys! Have gotten in contact with a dealer and, at last, it actually seems like I´ll get a compensator :p

I called up my tackle shop asking about the compensator for the umpteenth time and he just let out a long sigh and said "no word from the dealer"... :mad:

#20 ·
I missed this thread.

Looks like you have the two lines nailed, Fred. The SA line is a Windcutter-length line, while the Multi DH is essentially a one-piece shooting head for a two-hander so you get the performance attributes of a shooting head system without any loop connections to hang up in your guides. I have a floating Multi 9/10 that I use on both 9 and 10 weight rods. It is great for casting in tight quarters but also allows you to reach out there when you want to. It has a color change at the head/running line junction that makes it easy to determine how much line to strip in, and the running line handles very well and is thin and slick allowing for long casts.

The taper length on my 9/10 is 11.6 meters (38ft) and weighs in at 493.84 grains. Total line length is 30 meters (98ft).

#21 ·
Dana: yep, have heard so many good things about the Mutli DH:s that I´m sure I´ll get one of those in the future, which also goes for the SA Short head... and the Quattro Spey...not to mention the Jetstream and the Grand spey... It´s a jungle out there, but it sure is fun :) Saves those blank days when you got a few different lines to mess with. Keeps you out in the fresh air!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.