Spey Pages banner

SA Mastery Spey tri-tip

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Any views on the above line? I was looking at getting a Midspey with tips, but have found the Mastery Spey tri-tip at a very attractive price (less than half that of the Midspey).

I think I can probably handle an 80' head. I've read the review of the regular Mastery Spey line on speypages, and have always liked SA lines in the past. But in particular I wondered about the tip-connecting loops - this seems to me to be the make-or-break of any tip system. Do they turn over well?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

#3 ·
Not the ebay lines

Gus, I'm in the UK. I'm told that currently ALL parcels, even small ones, are being stopped by UK customs, and import duty and VAT charged on the declared value. This adds nearly 25% to the purchase price, and a further 'handling charge' is also levied by the postal service who collect this duty and tax on behalf of the government. :mad: The net result is that much of the normal price differential between what you and I have to pay for the same item is nullified, and when you consider the problems of returning defective items, it seems hardly worth doing transatlantic mail order at present. Personal imports are another matter; if I was buying a new high-end outfit it's probably worth buying an airline ticket to NY just to get the savings! :devil:

Anyhow, this is a very long-winded way of saying that I'm not going after the lines on Ebay - you've got a clear run at them as far as I'm concerned!

I think these lines may perhaps have been discontinued, and shops on both sides of the atlantic are offloading them - I notice that they've disappeared from one big UK dealer's catalogue for 2003, though the ordinary Mastery Spey floating line still features there. Presumably they've been discontinued because they didn't sell well, but surely SOMEONE must have bought/tried one?

#4 ·
WOW!

I'm not going to get one, but that's incredible!!!

I have a friend in the Training trade from Carmarthenshire who is on our side of the pond frequently for work - no wonder he buys all of his stuff when he's here!

We traded magazines a while back. He gave me Trout&Salmon, and Fish&Fly (both first rate books!) and I gave him a couple of copies of Northwest Fly Fishing. It's a lot of fun top see the differences and commonalities we all share. I have a bunch of magazines coming from another fellow in Norway soon - I sent him a bunch of NWFF as well.

Anyway, I had wondered about those lines as well, and am glad you posted, but it's interesting no one has replied...

-Gus

#5 ·
I've cast the SA Tri-tip and did not like it with the sink tips, although it was OK with the floating tips. It suffered from the same problem that the Mastery Spey line does (after all, it is simply the Mastery Spey with factory loops and 2 sink tips), the front taper is 20 feet long and the line's belly is not long enough to compensate properly when using sink tips for good casting since it also has a fairly long rear taper. Perhaps this is why they haven't sold very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.