Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new Steve Choate/Way Lin SA spey lines (need a 10#) available? If so, what cat. # do I need to have my local fly shop order? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"Tom-Tom's" have it the lines (at least some of the wt's)

are in limited production now. Understand from a thread elsewhere (JD Jones' I think?) that they're shooting for Mid/end of May to have these available. Worth the wait!
fe

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Latest info from Bruce Richards

I spoke with Bruce Richards at SA about an hour ago. He told me the new lines will be called XLT Spey and that the 8-9-10 wts are being final tested and production should start by the end of next week. No packaging yet, but we joked that "plain brown wrappers" would be fine as long as we can get the lines:>)

Bruce has promised to call when they can actually be ordered by your local fly shops. I'll post that information as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Cool info; any comment on pricing?

Probably won't make too much difference as I'll be taking one of each. :devil:

·
Registered
104 Posts
What about the 7 wts.?

What about 7wts? Anybody know how long it will be before the XLT will be ready for the market?

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7wt XLT Spey

The 7 wt lines are done being tested and are ready to go into production. My understanding is they will all go into production sometime right after the end of next week.

Sorry I didn't mention the information about the 7wt lines.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I assure this has been covered before but I will ask because I just need to know... :)

How does the New SA XLT Spey lines differ from say an Accelerator or a standard Double Taper Spey?...I am assuming the XLT's have nothing resembling a power hinge. :confused:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
SA vs Accelerator

The new SA lines do not have the power hinge and have a longer head - I believe they may vary some from 95' to over 100' depending on line weight. They have a long front taper - not exactly sure of actual length but at the Rogue Spey Clinic, Way mentioned that the cut point for heads or tips was at around 25'

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XLT spey lines

Jim brings up a good point. The line wts. are based on the total head wt. not the first 30 ft. as these lines are not made to shoot but to cast the whole head once outside the rod according to Bruce Richards. He also said they SA are not quite sure how they will be labeled due to differences in various brands and models of rods they may be used on. Bruce mentioned one idea they were thinking about was to provide a chart with the popular spey rods and a compliementary SA XLT line suited for that particular rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Given this is going to cost me a couple of hund. dollars ...

Bruce Lives.

The one thing that I really like about the RIO site is Simon's 'point blank' about which line for which rod, recommendations. SA would be well advised to follow this lead.

God Knows' Steve and Way have tested these lines to death so some initial recommendations should be reasonable.

PRAY!!
:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has SA released a data sheet on this new line? It seems like a lot of excitement but I'm not quite sure I know what to expect. I'm currently using a Mastery Spey line (WF-8/9-F). Its 120 feet long, has a 50 foot belly and a 20 foot front taper. How does the new line differ?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"KS" 2 cents worth here only.

I've been using spey rods, and related lines, for a long time. The new SA's we used at the Charity Clinic are a true step up from what's on the market. RIO, et. al., will have to go back to the drawing board after these hit the market.
fe

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ordering SA Mastery XLT Spey lines

At this point your local SA Mastery dealer can order (backorder) the new XLT Spey lines. They should start shipping in about 2 weeks. The lines will be officially introduced and put in the printed catalog in Sept. according to Bruce Richards.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Prototypes, Kinks, Etc.

Take my word for it. When these things become available they will be heads and shoulders above anything else out there. Buy todays version, and if they make it better later on, buy it again. They are that good. The only question is, are you really up to picking up 80+ feet of line?:D

JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I may just have missed it, but does anybody have

a 'simi-official' list of what line wt's and line lengths will be available? Perhaps, should also add, if they're all not going to be available at the same time a 'simi-schedule'
;) of what will be marketed when? (Now, how's that for a run on sentance:hehe: )

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
So do these lines come with a 40 inch steelhead as part of the deal?

Seems like it with all this hype from you guys :hehe:

-sean

1 - 20 of 57 Posts