Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Scientific Angler System eleven reel that was made by Hardy. It has a 4 inch diameter and appears identical to a Hardy Marquis, except maybe for the reel foot which appears to be steel. Does anyone know when these were made, and what model of Marquis it would be like?
It works very nicely with steelhead, holding a #8 xlt and 150 yds of backing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Verne, I believe the reels were made up to the early eighties, the "steel" foot is standard on the later modles. The system reels are Marquis reels, the eleven I believe to be a Salmon #1. For more info, contact, hardybc.com.

Randy

·
Registered
941 Posts
Whoops! Sorry Verne.
The System 11 reel is the same diameter as the Marquis Salmon #2, but the spool is not as wide. They are not interchangeable. There is no Marquis reel that is the same size at the System 11. The 11 is 4" in diameter and 1" (inside) wide. Marquis 2 is 4" diameter and 1 3/16" wide.
Bill

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information, I bought it used with two extra spools. It fits and balances very well on my Loomis 15' 7/8 Greased Line rod. The grey side doesn't match the pea soup green too well, but you can't have everything I guess.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jamey:
The Salmon No. 1 is 3-⅞" diameter while the Salmon Nos. 2 & 3 are both 4-⅛" in diameter. The No. 3 is a wide-spool version of the No. 2. I don't know the widths but the No. 2 is wider than the No. 1 model.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
pescaphile said:
Jamey:
The Salmon No. 1 is 3-⅞" diameter while the Salmon Nos. 2 & 3 are both 4-⅛" in diameter. The No. 3 is a wide-spool version of the No. 2. I don't know the widths but the No. 2 is wider than the No. 1 model.

I was under the assumption that they were all the same diameter, just different width's.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As I recall, Scientific Anglers marketed its Hardy-made System reels in conjunction with its System fiberglass rods in the mid- to late 1960's. They were good single-hand rods (blanks made by J. Kennedy Fisher) in odd lengths. I had a System 9 rod (8' 11", as I recall) for a few years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Verne said:
Does anyone know when these were made, and what model of Marquis it would be like?
My guess would be that the SA would be the equivalent of the Marquis 9/10/11 .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts