Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the new Scientific Anglers Adapt Short Head Switch line. I looked at the lines profile and to me it looks like another Wulff Ambush Line that's been tweaked a little. I just wonder how well it spey and overhand casts, and how delicate the presentation would be.

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
It has stronger turn over and a more complex taper than the Ambush as well as a textured head and AST.

While it has the muscle to turn over bigger tips and flies, it also can be very delicate, it is an extremely good fishing line, a lot of emphasis was put on how the line fished, not just how it casts... It has a thinner diameter towards the front allowing sink tips to dig in more and do what they are intended to do, versus a rope chain skagit head that is thick all the way to the front and basically acts as a bobber. However, because of the very dynamic taper, it still offers great turn over even with the thinner front taper...

It also is to me, an ideal length, some of these switch lines have insane short heads and it really hurts their stability in the air while not making much difference in how much room is required for back cast, a LOT of different lengths were tested and what was settled on would be ideal under most circumstances. You can still cast it just fine with your back against a wall and since it has an integrated running line, you can suck it in tighter when needed...

I cannot forsee anyone not loving this line.

An added bonus to the head being textured, if you use this line at night for example mousing with a switch rod "which it is stellar for", you know when you have stripped back into the head as you can hear the zip sound coming through the guides...

About all it has in common with the Ambush is it is a bullet taper...

·
Rainbow/Waterfall/Unicorn
138 Posts
Adapt

While I think the couple extra feet added beyond typical 20' switch heads is nice, I don't fully understand the entire concept. Like the integrated running line, and very limited grain weights offered (280-440)?

Is it primarily intended for indicator fishing with 11' and under switch, and longer single hand rods? The taper characteristics look very similar to the Rio Switch Chucker, minus the RSC's 14' handling section?

Personally I would have liked to see this taper applied to heads, minus integrated running line, in the 28' range.

Not badmouthing at all since SA's are my chosen lines otherwise, just trying to get a firm grasp on what Adapt's shining application will be.

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
While I think the couple extra feet added beyond typical 20' switch heads is nice, I don't fully understand the entire concept. Like the integrated running line, and very limited grain weights offered (280-440)?

Is it primarily intended for indicator fishing with 11' and under switch, and longer single hand rods? The taper characteristics look very similar to the Rio Switch Chucker, minus the RSC's 14' handling section?

Personally I would have liked to see this taper applied to heads, minus integrated running line, in the 28' range.

Not badmouthing at all since SA's are my chosen lines otherwise, just trying to get a firm grasp on what Adapt's shining application will be.
This head is primarily designed for fishing streamers, either with floating or sinking tips, it would not make a very good indicator line due to the short head.

The integrated running line is something a lot of people like in a line designed for smaller water, it also is a huge plus for fishing at night, but really shines as it enables you to suck in some of the head before casting or strip a streamer back closer to the rod, etc... Also nice in the Winter when icing is an issue...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't know anything about the particular line, but I am for the intergrated running line based on my experience to heads on a switch with single foot guides that do not allow me to strip in tight without hanging up. Airflo in particular with the large heat shrink covered loop. Will have to give it a look.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David1123

Would anyone say the new SA Adapt fly line is an all around line like the Wulff Ambush for roll casting, spey casting, and overhead casting.

·
Banned
879 Posts
The integrated running line is something a lot of people like in a line designed for smaller water, it also is a huge plus for fishing at night, but really shines as it enables you to suck in some of the head before casting or strip a streamer back closer to the rod, etc... Also nice in the Winter when icing is an issue...
Good, another integrated running line. Looking forward to trying this one.
Any comparison to the Ambush integrated running line? Ambush makes it mendable but in doing so the larger running line diameter impacts shooting somewhat.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
No experience with the line.. yet.

Interesting, all the fans of integrated lines these days (and better yet.. options) I was all but tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail for my posts praising them 8 or 9 yrs ago. Height of the 'new' shooting head revolution.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David1123

Does anyone know if the new Scientific Anglers Adapt fly line is an all around line like the Wulff Ambush for roll casting, spey casting, and overhead casting. Also is it a good line for use with poly leaders, and is it good for distance casting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Shotgunner, thanks for the chance to vent...:)

My transition from heads to full integrated lines started only a couple of years ago. They just fit my casting style and fishing much better. Better for stripping in, better for fighting fish close in, and better short casting. Unfortunately there are not many companies offering these lines. Ambush does have a good one and adding a tapered front end makes a good match with lighter poly's/leaders. Not a skagit and not a scandi somewhere in the tweens. My favorite integrated scandi was the Elixir by Beulah. Vent time. :mad: So Beulah decides to introduce a 'Dennis Rodman' (colorful dude) of mid bellies in need of surgery while hanging out their Elixir to die on the vine. Must be based on anticipated demand but still frustrating when IMO it was the best integrated scandi on the market. This SA Adapt sounds interesting, will give it a throw....Sorry for the stick-up David. Can't help you on the Adapt but will try one out soon.

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
Does anyone know if the new Scientific Anglers Adapt fly line is an all around line like the Wulff Ambush for roll casting, spey casting, and overhead casting. Also is it a good line for use with poly leaders, and is it good for distance casting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It roll casts, spey casts "which are just roll casts with a directional change ;)" and overhead casts exceptionally well.

It does work great for light tips or heavyish tips and yes, if your casting is up to par, casting the entire line is simple...

The running line is very very nice on this line, I think that was always one of the reasons people wanted head only options so much in the past as most integrated lines came with less than stellar running lines, not the case here...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David1123

It sounds like the Adapt may be a better line than the Ambush. Which do you prefer, and which one is the most delicate.

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
I believe the Adapt is a better line for what I do...

The Adapt is in my eyes, just as delicate, BUT also will handle tips much better than the Ambush...

The final version, has more turn over than the proto-types I had, but still seems to maintain that finesse capability that we wanted...

It fishes really well with just a simple 15' mono leader if you don't want to use a tip, it throws poly tips and it will throw 8' of T-14 if needed, very very good at doing a lot of things well, not just a lot of things so so if you will...

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
David,

What grains did you like on the Ambush line?

I think I can arrange for an Adapt Switch to be passed around among speypagers to demo...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David1123

I used a 290 grain Wulff Ambush line on my Meiser 4/5 Switch Rod. I think a 280 grain line in the SA Adapt would be about right. My rod has a 300 to 450 grain window. My guess is a 280 grain line with a 10' polyleader would be about perfect for me.

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
Let me see what I can do, shouldn't be an issue.

Please PM me your address.

·
Registered
364 Posts
adapt weights

since 8 wt is the heaviest switch rod normally can we assume that these
grain weights correspond to these switch weights? At $90/ line it is too expensive
to experiment. These weights look light for the rod weights 6-7-8. Perhaps
"the swinging fly" can provide insight.

280 =4
320 =5
360 =6
400 =7
440 =8

·
slipped away to grey...
715 Posts
since 8 wt is the heaviest switch rod normally can we assume that these
grain weights correspond to these switch weights? At $90/ line it is too expensive
to experiment. These weights look light for the rod weights 6-7-8. Perhaps
"the swinging fly" can provide insight.

280 =4
320 =5
360 =6
400 =7
440 =8
"Numerical weights" are so all over the place with fly rods these days especially switch rods in regards to what grain weights work best with them, I think labeling any of these lines "6" or "8" in many cases could add confusion or even aid in someone buying the wrong line for their rod, hence why they are just listed in grain weights...

That being said, in many cases, your labeling would be correct, just for a quick example, in the Orvis Helios 2 or Mystic Switch rods, those lines would match those rod weights very well...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
David1123

How would you describe the running line. I hope its not like the Rio outbound, it shoots great, but its not that durable in my opinion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
David1123

Has anyone heard anything more about the Adapt Switch line being passed around among speypagers to demo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts