Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a 9/10 S.A. Spey/Salmon on a T&T 1409 for waking drys and swinging wets. With the river cooling down I realize that I'm going to have to get deeper. Any advice on cutting the line for tips or using sinking leaders would be very much appreciated. Thanks Link

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've used these lines quite a bit with tips. They work well cut at 17-feet from the tip. I use both the 8/9 and the 10/11 this way. I'll use 15ft rio #7 or #8 tips on the 8/9 and #9 or a big boy on the 10/11. I also use some 18ft tips I spliced from type IV (Hi-speed Hi-D) SA shooting heads that I like to use.

I've never seen a Mastery Spey Salmon in this line weight. Are you refering to the Spey XLT variety? If you are, disregard the above. The XLTs need to be cut at a longer distance. I think it is about 26-feet. I know that question has been posted and answered here before so a search ought to reveal to correct place to cut the 9/10 XLT.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
XLT

If it is an XLT, the cut points are listed on the Board. Search under XLT.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I'll cut it at 17 feet and use Rio tips. It is not a XLT. Link

1 - 4 of 4 Posts