Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've noticed that Henrik recommends a loop type floating running line for u/hand casting. Having only ever used a 'flat beam' running line (by Ken Sawada) I was just curious if anyone had experience of both and had any preferences or insights into their relative attributes? The flat beam line was developed for delivering shooting heads on an overhead cast so I'm not sure if it's specifically useful for u/hand casting or if it even could make any difference? Certaintly the flat beam is very tangle free and slick.

On another subject, I might be able to pick up an old Loop 3(wide) in pretty good condition at the minute. Having never actually seen one 'in the flesh' I was wondering what they were like in terms of capacity/drag etc.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The 3W listed capacity is, I believe, 200 yards 20lb. backing with WF9F. Its a "palming" reel with NO drag, just an anti-backlash adjusting knob. Very light. Very nice. Great reel for two-handed rod.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Psteward,

I use both "flat beam" types running lines and coated types. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both, but for practical fishing I prefer for a coated type shooting line.

The arguments against flat beams/monofilament types are they more easily getting tangled/messed up, many types are not very durable, they easily get wrinkled/curled up, receive cuts/scars. The main argument against a coated is that it is not as fast going, but on the other hand this can be an advantage for good presentation making the head roll out better under practical fishing.

I can on my own behaviour see that I more and more often go for the coated types instead of the monofilament types.

I have the Loop traditional 3W and it is perfect for a shooting head setup for 12-14 ft rods. Smolt is right in his description about its features. It cant carry long belly/full lenght lines in addition to enough backing for my purposes.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts