Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems every reel I have has a RIO running line on it, only difference is color, which dictates thickness, I presume. I have orange and green. I think that's .024 and .03something. Work fine for me not having a rod over 7wt, but I'm wondering what I'm missing, if anything, with all the various running lines now being offered.

I see from other threads there's lots of opinion about favorite running line, but what's the basic construction differences? Mono based, this based, that based, poly, pvc? :confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
A different option.

A lot of us here purchase custom cut lines from Steve Godshall ("SGS" is a poster here). (If memory serves, JD Jones as an example) Shooting line will be one piece with a small loop on the end; the head(s) are separate. If he wants to change heads, just slip the one off and into a properly marked zip log bag.

Two-three minutes and he's back in business. Me? I'm lazy:( ... I'll just bring a couple of rods rigged differently. :rolleyes:

·
JD
3,612 Posts
As noted there is a great perliferation of running lines on the market today. All of which have thier pro's & cons, followers and haters. A search for running lines will probably get you a half days reading. A trip to the upcoming Sandy Clave may afford the opportunity to try before you buy.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
I see from other threads there's lots of opinion about favorite running line, but what's the basic construction differences? Mono based, this based, that based, poly, pvc? :confused:
OK, here is the basic rundown:

What you have: Rio Powerflex, a coated running line. Easy to handle, works fine for about anything except tournament casting, moderately expensive.

There is also:

Ridge: what Airflo calls Powerflex.

Sharkskin : what SA calls powerflex, but textured so as to slice up your fingers sooner

Monic: a stronger Powerflex that melts to itself if you leave it inside your truck

Connectcore: Powerflex with a special core to make it thicker and more expensive

and the big other family, mono. mono is cheaper, slicker, and usually thinner. You can cast farther with it if you are a good caster, and not as far if you are a bad caster. If you don't find winter steelheading frustrating enough already, mono is the line for you.

in the mono family:

Varivas: mono that floats

Slickshooter: mono that has been squashed

Gripshooter: mono with a handle

Frog Hair: mono that has been irradiated to make it more expensive

OPST Lazar: mono that has been coated with teflon to make it more expensive

miracle braid: mono, but louder

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Troutless, you nailed it!

·
Brockton
475 Posts

What you have: Rio Powerflex, a coated running line. Easy to handle, works fine for about anything except tournament casting, moderately expensive.

There is also:

Sharkskin : what SA calls powerflex, but textured so as to slice up your fingers sooner

Monic: a stronger Powerflex that melts to itself if you leave it inside your truck

Connectcore: Powerflex with a special core to make it thicker and more expensive

and the big other family, mono. mono is cheaper, slicker, and usually thinner. You can cast farther with it if you are a good caster, and not as far if you are a bad caster. If you don't find winter steelheading frustrating enough already, mono is the line for you.

in the mono family:

This may need to be a sticky.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cracking up while taking note. :chuckle:

There is also:

in the mono family:

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Monic: a stronger Powerflex that melts to itself if you leave it inside your truck :)
Correction: Monic is a coated GSP having zero stretch, zero memory properties. It comes in .024 .030 & .036 dia, all of which are 72# test. Although I've heard reports alluding to the coating becoming sticky at elevated temperatures, I have yet to experience any adverse effects in over three years of use on steelhead rivers.

Granted, it is not a tropical running line, nor is it idiot proof. Wind it on a cassette reel, leave it on the dash of you pickup all day while at work, don't ezpect to fish with it, ever again! :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
741 Posts

in the mono family:

Don't forget Berkley Big Game 50lb Mono.
275 yard for $9. All the mono you will ever need… :smokin:

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
101a

a good review here:

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/shooting-lines/

Running lines not mentioned so far:

From Rajeff Sports
- Power Core supple running line - for winter fishing
- Extreme tropical running line (ridged), more rigid than standard running lines

From Vision
- Ace Control
- Ace2 running line
- Flat Shooter

From Sawada
- flat beam running line

From Guideline
- Compline
- Shooter (hollow)
- LSL

Others
- Airflo polyshoot