Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mastery XLT 9/10# spey line and would like to take off the standard running and attach a more supple, thinner model.

Does anyone have an idea of a running line that would suit?

Info on how to splice the lines together would also be great help. :confused:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gordon drop it off with me and I'll put a nice big knot in for you, that should keep your distance down.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Rio makes an intermediate Striper Running line which is great for cold water/weather and sinks instead of floating to help get the head down.

My son has a new one for winter Striper Fishing on the Delta and loves it. This is not Spey casting nor two handed rod casting. However, it should work for shooting Spey heads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks forlks. I have opted for the rio slickshooter, hopefully this will do the job! :cool:

Gordon

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Ken Sawada shooting line is very slick and shoots well. It comes in 50m spools, so with 30m XLT head and 3m leader, 83m casts are possible before the backing knot hits the rings. :D

Seriously, IMHO, I find the XLT:s runningline quite good, in the *very* rare occasions it sees daylight, the length of the cast is by no means reduced because of it. On the contrary I think that it helps the turnover of the line. Would cut it off only if it was fatally damaged... unless ofcourse I wanted to challenge Scott M. in the Musto next year. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you say the standard running line is not bad at all.

My use of is purely for casting distance and not the fishing qualities of the line. :lildevl:

I find the xlt has the weight and head length to load my 18fter. However, I am not sure if by attaching new running line will affect the form of the belly on the forward cast (will the head collapse at distance??) :confused:

Gordon

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Dont really know the answer, I´ll bet Mr. XLT (Way Yin) would be able to help you on that, and on which would be the best running line for it. If I were you, I might PM him (spey_bubba). However, I know from experience, that if you attach a very slick running line to a long shooting head, the "wheel" may start to roll into wrong direction, and instead of turning over, the line ends up in a folded form. Unless the cast is so powerful, that the runningline ends, tightens, and the loop starts to turn over again. Water resistance on the running line reduces this effect, but you are casting from a platform, aren´t you?

PS. Sorry for the joke above, I sort of had a hunch that you are going for the BIG casts. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advise. Think I will try and get a range of running lines and put the to the test. Looks like a matter of trial and error.

It is becomming an obsessive alternative to fishing. The casting alone should be enough to feed my habit untill next spring. :devil:

As for competing against Scott. I tend to set my highest targets on 2nd place. The mans not human :Eyecrazy: !!

Gordon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts