Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What is your favorite running line you use for a shooting taper?
Thank you all very much!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mono or flat mono, amnesia or slick shooter, 15# to 35#, depending on what I'm chasing. I know I'll get a lot of critics, but once stretched and used a couple times there are few tangles while shooting. No more than some of the PVC running line I've used, but it does take practice.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have been using #50 Slickshooter by Rio this winter/spring - it is awesome. I highly recommend it.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I am using the airflow poly shoot XT. I hate the way slickshooter feels in your hand. The XT is more along the lines of a fly line feel and shoots almost as well as slickshooter. Or course mono is going to shoot the best but I do not want to deal with the hassle.

I also have not noticed much in the way of memory problems at all.

Will give a more detailed report after spending all next week chasing stripers with the atlantis.

-sean

·
Registered
119 Posts
Running Line

I use # 50 slickshooter from rio . But I think also is to come up with different ways to manage it. From when the wind is blowing.
To when it is iceing up in the guides and when water droplets start to frezze on it. Or to use bottom hand or top hand
management for forming loops.

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Airflo poly shoot. Not that I use it for shooting heads, but I am going to start cutting all my running line I currently have on my Spey set ups and start splicing in the floating poly shoot XT. I'm getting to really like the feel of resistance free running line.

Matt Burke

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Running Lines

# 50 Slickshooter for winter
# 35 Slickshooter for summer
:hehe:

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
How do you guys that are using the Rio Slickshooter lines splice the stuff to your heads? Have you ever had any failures at the splice?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use a loop to loop connection. To the back of the head I'll attach a braided loop and in the slickshooter/amnesia I'll tie just a suegeon's end loop. I think some folks use Lefty kreh's none slip loop knot or something.

Matt Burke

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Nextcast

I like to strip about two inches of coating off a running line and put the slick shooter up the center of the running line, then rap it with tying thread over that connection. Then I place 30 lbs. braided mono over the spice, about two inches on ether side of the spice. Secure both ends with tying thread, and then I coat it with Aqua Flex (any flexible cement will work). That will make a nice smooth connect that doesn’t hang up in the guides. So far no problem in about 4 years of making lines likes this.

:hehe:

Thanks RA

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Thanks, Matt and Brian

Thanks, both of your solutions seem better than I have seen or used. I have buddy who lost the expensive flying end of his line when the Slickshooter parted at the splice after a cast and without fish on or hangup. I've been timid about using the stuff since.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use softex for loops and the knots and haven't lost anything yet. Well that is not true. Lost a Rio Scan head with tips, but the slickshooter itself broke when I wrapped it around some boulders. I am thinking Brians splice of mono straight into the head seems like a good idea. There are times when I want the head inside the guides on the rod. But with over thirty heads, it is just not practical. I like interchangability.

Matt Burke

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Slick shooter

Matt
I use Softtex too and Aquq Seal, just lately I'm trying Aqua Flex

M

·
0 Posts
The modern stuff is to get PowerPro hollow 80lb GsP, use it as backing line and insert 20lb monofilament inside the 100 feet before the shooting head. One loop connection to the head, slicker than slick, goes like a rocket. doesn't get tangled and has not a knot in it. Max PS watch you fingers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Max,

You know I'm going to have try that. Email me through the forum. I've lost your email the last time my hard drive died.

Matt Burke

M

·
0 Posts
[email protected] I tried stuffing mono up 130lb Line-One hollow braid, same stuff as PowerPro, looks the same. Is very thin, very slick and really shoots. Can be spliced with Loctite 406. Looks toi be the beginning of a new generation of shooting lines. Max

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Mono core in GSP running line?

Max, it must be time consuming to stuff 100 feet of 20 mono up the center of the PowerPro line. Can you offer any suggestions on how to do it with the least time and effort?

M

·
0 Posts
There is no easy way, whether you use a doll needle or just inch it in, it takes a few hours. You have to fully stretch the mono, raeally hard stretch to remove and curl or twist. But I guess it depends on how much you want to do it. I do it to get the best system, no stretch, no knots etc. A lot of people just don't care that much but it sure removes a number of GsP problems and is pretty slick. Max

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
No easy solution

You have offered a very promising approach. I must confess I was hoping for an easier path to get there. Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Well you can use manufactured shooting liones, but this thing is probably as good as anything, because it removes a lot of problems, all GsP associated and provides a very strong system with high abrasion resistance. It's white, and floats which is pretty good for visual. I just stretch the mono and put the end into a Doll needle, thin, and start inserting it into the braid. you need to ensure that you don't lose the mono from the needle. And you also need to smooth the needle point so that it doesn't have nicks or things to catch the very fine GsP yarn. Its better if you round the point off. After the first 5 feet it seems to just go naturally. Funny stuff to stuff though, not like braided monofilament.
The other approach is to stuff 50lb GsP braid up 20lb braided monofilament. That makes a nice shooting line and is pretty friendly. What we really need is for someone to produce a special backing line with 100 feet of mono at the end. Not going to happen. But these new hollow high breaking strain braids have a lot of potential in fishing applications. Roll on leaders for deep sea stuff, etc. Max

1 - 20 of 24 Posts