Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an Echo DH2 7wt I'm spooling up with a 560 SA Skagit Extreme Intermediate for use on Lake Ontario tribs. I have Ridge running line in both floating and intermediate from which to choose. I have not used intermediate line so, I don't have sufficient experience to know which would be best behind the intermediate head. I would appreciate some insight to help me make an informed choice. I spent several evenings researching with the search feature but, I didn't find my answers.

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with this site. I'm tired of forums where one must sift through insults, innuendos and rudeness to learn a bit of information. This site is a refreshing change.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are those lines full intermediates (that is, the entire head sinks) or do they have rear floating taper like the Rio iFlight? If the former, mono or intermediate running line is required for it to fish as intended. The latter, floating running line is a suitable match.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
" I have Ridge running line in both floating and intermediate from which to choose. "

If you have to choose between just those 2 I would go with the floating Ridge Running line. IMO it is better to have it floating so you can control you Skagit Compact head a little better.

I have almost the exact outfit as you that I use on the Salmon River. But I switched from the Ridge running line to the OPST 50 lb. mono running line this fall and like it a lot better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I misspoke on the line spec - it is 560 SA Skagit Extreme Int. Corrected my original post.

Me thinks the entire head is intermediate. Agree if the back end was floating then I would go with a floating running line.

So, with a full intermediate head, I can use floating RL for greater control and visibility. This will also ease lifting.

Intermediate RL will increase depth and slow the swing. Also less drag?

Am I missing anything or, mistaken?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depends on running line?

I have a couple of intermediate heads, one I use with mono running line and the other I use with Miracle Braid. The weight of the heads (mass) is much higher than the running lines and I doubt the floating running lines exert much pressure on the head as it is doing its swing. I will often make a mend or two in the middle of the swing with just the running line, lifting and mending the running line exerts minimal pressure on the head, or so it seems to me. If I was using a more substantial running line like a Ridge, then it may be different.

Wayne

·
Registered
453 Posts
Actually I will amend what I say; I fish a lot of full intermediates and faster sink rate lines for chinook. In tidal estuaries, where I often do a swing with a slow strip, I don't want a floating running line altering the sink rate of the line. This practice follows into the river where you are fishing those big, deep salmon holes. I fish mono shooting line 100% of the time so it is never an obstacle in this regard.

In most steelhead situations where intermediates are useful, floating running line won't affect how the fly is actually fishing in my estimation. You are still fishing the same type of steelhead holding water (3-8' walking speed water) with intermediates, where surface hydraulics (fast and/or turbulent) make intermediate heads desirable. And if you like fishing intermediate heads in all situations (compensating with lighter tips) I don't think running line is going to change all that much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow-up

I appreciate the input I received. I ended up using the intermediate Ridge. The head definitely gets down. I was getting much deeper using a T-8 MOW versus a floating head with heavier tips. I started with this setup on an Echo DH2 7130 but thought it over lined the rod. Matched with an int. 560 skagit, this proved challenging to lift out of the water and, I needed to roll it back downstream to set up for most casts. I was also not getting the distance I expected. I switched it over to an Echo TR 8136 and found a sweet spot. The added rod length and backbone ensured a clean and relatively effortless lift. The line launched well and it seemed to cut through the wind better than did floating skagits. I also noticed the intermediate lines are not as amenable to mending as are floating lines. All-in-all, I think my intermediate lines will see much more use when Ontario tribs are running high. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts