Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation with my running line that is perplexing me. I have approximately a 5' section of my running line that is consistently wearing out from abrasion. I went through one running line in a short period of time, it simply wore out, and now my new running line is suffering from the same abrasion issues after limited use.
I have checked my guides for nicks or burrs, I have checked my reel, I try to be really careful around stream side rocks while casting??? I can't figure it out! It is the same 5' section of my line that always gets worn out and the rest of my running line and skagit head remain in great shape. Any suggestions or ideas? I would like to figure this out before I go through another running line prematurely.

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
Where on the running line is the worn out part located?

At Skagit head?
or closer to reel when Skagit head is at rod tip?

This might help find the answer.

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is at the section of the running line when the skagit head is at the tip of the rod, maybe even a few feet down from this point.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
The section of shooting line near the head seems to wear out first for me, too.

My theory: when you lift, sweep, and fire, the part of the rod that flexes most is from the tip top down, and as it flexes the line scrubs against the tip top and snakes.

I find this happens most on setups where I use a shorter casting stroke with a powerful underhand. The shorter stroke with a more sudden Scandi stop, coupled with a fast, tippy rod, can capture the shooting line in the "V" shape of the snake guides, increasing wear too.

One scandi rod in particular I like to "hit" pretty good on the forward stroke. I've gone through 2X the number of shooting lines on that one. (Actually, I usually cut the shooting line back 10 ft and create a new loop a couple times before flipping the shooting line, then replacing it eventually.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
What kind of rod is it? I would guess it is the top guides wore. I've been using the same shooting lines for years and never had wear problems.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Check if there is anything sharp which can wear out line. You can pull wool thread thru guides. Sometimes builder apply too much epoxy which then spreads too high up to snake wire and when it cracks it can become sharp.

Esa

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You probably have line twist as well which just exacerbates the problem.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
More importantly, what running line are you using? My slickshooters have yet to wear out after 4+ years, but I have reversed one of them just 'cuz (you can do that if it's not a tapered running line).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Now is the time to try out your line welding/loop building skills.

I'll readily admit that I am a cheap-Charlie on most things. I have re-built running lines, heads, etc. I've also joined pieces of backing to save a few bucks.

If your running line is ten feet shorter, no one but you will know the difference. If your repair doesn't work (be sure to give it a hearty pull test), then you're out nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I am guessing that my top guide might been worn out. Cutting of 10 feet of my running line sounds like a good option.

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts