Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent STS magazine I saw an article about using rubber worms on a fly rod. I did not realize they are popular with the traditional gear guys and pink rubber worms are very effective on steelhead - especially the paddle tails. Well the article indicated that he has been using them to cast on a fly rod. He ties in a heavy mono barb on the hook shank to keep the worm in place and says steelhead just hammer them!

Anyone try this or would you ever consider using them? I realize that they would not be legal on some waters that are restricted to fly fishing. Would sure hate to have my buddies take a photo of me with one dangling off the end of my leader on my favorite spey rod :hihi:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Get his address and the ethics police will come and take care of him :lildevl:

No, never tried one and never will. However, I have occasionaly fished big long marabou streamers which even though I hate to admit it, probably appear rubber wormlike to the fish.

I find they work best when pre-soaked in scent though. :whoa:

(JUST KIDDING)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I certainly use leeches and this guy said he has had better success with the paddle tail - just better action than a rabbit or marabou leech.

SO..... next time I am out........ nah - can't bring myself to it

·
Registered
693 Posts
They work even better if you bunch them up into a large blob on the hook and weight them with a spark plug! :lildevl: Also just kidding. :lildevl:

The long rabbit fur string leaches would also be similar to a worm. And one of the more popular colors is pink. Go figure.

Charlie

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
sinktip said:
Get his address and the ethics police will come and take care of him :lildevl:
He's guiding in AK now, but I can put you in touch after that ... :smokin:

Actually the guy has a very good ethic, could even be deputized by the EP. Case in point: I ran into him one day after he had just confronted a self-inflated "fly" fisherman for casting to fish on redds. He was really hot about the whole thing, and spoke up then and there, like a real man. And did so on a river that's pretty remote and where you could easily disappear after running into the wrong types. Sam's definitely one of the good ones.

I've used long pink A-leeches on that river :devil: , no doubt garden hackle would work, too.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Steve,

Simonseth, the Chief of the EP, will need to get a resume as he always needs more deputies.

I guess I would have a hard time throwing a rubber worm on a flyrod and calling it flyfishing but that is a personal thing. After all, I occasionally fish foam bodied wakers so who am I to call 911 for the EP. I will say though that if he is swinging it, he can't be all bad. If it is under a dink float, well, that is another story .....

'tip

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have heard that they work really well with an indicator.

I have heard that they work really well with an indicator. ;)

Rumors are present even now that they will work with a Skagit line and 9-12' of T14 with a couple of feet of Green Maxima after a rain and the river clears and starts to go down. :eek:

Two years ago, to avoid harassment by the Ethics Police, I had Tim Fox at the Fly Shop make me some long tailed bass flies with a bullet head in black, purple and pink. There was nothing natural tied on the hook in any color. Yet most Ethics Police didn't have a problem with them.

The bass liked them, and again I have heard rumors that the big half pounders and summer steelhead in the Rogue really like them, particuliarly the pink after nice short summer rain. :rolleyes:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I really should lock this thread down. Heresy.

Dink floats...rubber worms...string leeches... :Eyecrazy:

What happened to a simple lady caroline and fishing the fly rather than depending on rubber to fish for you. :razz:

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
sinktip said:
Steve,
I guess I would have a hard time throwing a rubber worm on a flyrod and calling it flyfishing but that is a personal thing. 'tip
Yup it is personal. To me "fly fishing" is a delivery method. I would never do it because it's just not as durable as a bunny strip, and there are many things that can be added to a bunny leech to make it dance...

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Pink Meanie

Try this instead of the plastic worm......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i WAS going to do that myself!

with a two-hander just to make people realize that it's just fishing!,i myself am in a precarious position sometimes it seems,i `do' all tackle all year,that's my motto for my guide service,and i represent ALL anglers of the Rogue,hey!,it's all about the watershed,not what rod you happen to be holding,so;bubble and fly or spey and wubberworm,,,hahahahaha,it's all good if it gets people out to enjoy the water and the fish are treated with respect for the future of the fishery,just my dollar 02' :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
In his "Practical Guide to Salmon Fishing" Hugh Falkus tells a story about trying to hook a salmon on all manner of flies with no success, and finally hooks it by fastening a real prawn on the end of his flyline and casting that.
He doesn't mention an indicator though. :saevilw:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
rubber crayfish

i have one on my tying bench,just for study of course,but i've often wondered if it wouldn't work better than feathers and fur ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
fried chicken

Use a piece of fried chicken. If you leave the feathers on then you can tell everyone you're fly fishing!

link

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`bubble gum worms'

I remember reading about their usage `up north' first,years ago in STS magazine,nobody but nobody used em' `down here' on the Rogue,you'd see them in clearance sections of tackle aisles,or when they'd revamp a `fishing tackle'section of a department store,they'd be there;packages of pink rubber worms,i guess someone tried em' here,and whammo!,people went gaga over them three winters back=`couldn't keep the trout off of them',`cought a ten pounder on one',on and on people were raving about them,of course i was honing my winter steel ala fly fishing skills at the time and just laughed about it,,,after all;dad used real worms ;) ,,another sidenote;years ago a guy was tossing spinners in a section i was flyfishing,started asking me all about flyfishing,well,over time i would bump into the guy bankside occaisionally,he grew into a flyfisher :D ,took a class to learn how to tie,,showed me his flies=all plastic materials :eek: ,so who can say what is correct or proper? a well known and very hot `fly'=the `otis bug' used on the upper Rogue for instance is a winner and cannot be denied status as such,yet,it's all plastic materials and rubber legs :D

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the article the guy mentioned you can fish them any way you would fish a leech including indicators but he had great luck swinging it on a floating line or sink tip. So floating line and the swing with a worm or a big indicator and a bunch of weight and an ugly bug or nymph for the Rogue.

But I kinda like the idea of the Lady Caroline!!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
heck,live it up!

we are allowed three hooks/flies,sooooo,an otis to get you down,wubberworm for an attractant and a Lady Caroline swinging deep,if you're ashamed of yourself you could cut the points off a couple of them :chuckle: ,,just a thought!,of course i'm hitting the River first light so i'm considering anything that might give me the edge,,hahaha,those prawns sound good! :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rick J said:
In a recent STS magazine I saw an article about using rubber worms on a fly rod. I did not realize they are popular with the traditional gear guys and pink rubber worms are very effective on steelhead - especially the paddle tails. Well the article indicated that he has been using them to cast on a fly rod. He ties in a heavy mono barb on the hook shank to keep the worm in place and says steelhead just hammer them!

Anyone try this or would you ever consider using them? I realize that they would not be legal on some waters that are restricted to fly fishing. Would sure hate to have my buddies take a photo of me with one dangling off the end of my leader on my favorite spey rod :hihi:
RICK! I HAVE A-LERTED the OREGON STATE POLICE! You, and your pink worms, will be turned back before you hit exit 6 on I-5. :saevilw:

WE KNOW where you live ... People will be there shortly to .. how do I say this? .. "re-educate" you shortly. Do not try to leave town, eyes are already watching you and your family. :cool:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fred - if I ever venture into Oregon, you can bet they will be well hidden!!!! And the EP don't know where I keep them buried around the house unless they bring ansie sniffing dogs!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts