Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that Ross is shutting down production of their canyon series--:eek: spose to be replaced with momentum I have been told.. Anyone have the scoop?

G

·
The Momentum is available in the same sizes as the Canyon---#4-#8. The dimensions of each seem very close. Personally, I think it is a better looking reel than the Canyon. The news is the use of carbon fiber and Rulon in the drag system. Time will tell about this choice. I had another reelmaker mention at the recent Denver dealer show that Rulon was not a good choice of material for a reel designed to maintain that amount of drag. At least the larger sizes are supposed to be able to lift 12lb of dead weight. If the drag is set that high, I was told the Rulon would not remain stable. I'm sure Ross did plenty of testing, however. The colors are black and champagne gold, which actually looks more like silver, especially in the catalog. The marketing hype will center around using Kestrel USA, of bike fame, as their guru for the carbon fiber. The prices are $395.00-$595.00 and spare spools are $205.00-$310.00.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Gee, someone posts a thread about Ross Reels and out of the woodwork we get a shill jumping in with a Danielsson post. It looks like somethings never change.

Guess you got me in a grumpy mood but this one has worn way too thin. Posts have been deleted.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
tip, I agree such posts are annoying, yet no different than when someone asks about the performance of "line brand X" and are told to try "line Y" or "Rod Z"

it is really no different, and there are tons of examples of this here on the pages, including some from mods

straight shooting.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Steve,

point taken, but this situation is actually quite different because the real issue here is that we have a member (a couple of them actually) who has been relentless about taking any and every opportunity to flog a particular non-sponsor reel maker. These folks have been asked to tone it down yet still it continues.

We have our rules here but we don't blindly enforce them (note that this is a thread about Ross and Ross isn't a sponsor); however, when things get extreme we step in.

At Speypages we believe in maintaining the free flow of information that will be of interest and benefit to the speycasting public, but we also have bills to pay and sponsorship is how we pay those bills. If we don't monitor and respond to some activities then sponsorship becomes valueless and eventually Speypages will disappear.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Dana,
Talking about sponsorship. Have you ever invited Danielsson to be a sponsor of this side or been approach by them?

My friend who owns Fly Shop would be interested to sponsor this side. Do you have any specific timeframe you accept requests?, is there any limitations how many new sponsors you accept each year?

Thanks

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
bolen said:
Dana,
Talking about sponsorship. Have you ever invited Danielsson to be a sponsor of this side or been approach by them?

My friend who owns Fly Shop would be interested to sponsor this side. Do you have any specific timeframe you accept requests?, is there any limitations how many new sponsors you accept each year?

Thanks
A rep of theirs inquired about sponsorship late in the spring and they were asked to approach us again late in the year for consideration for 2007. We look at most of our manufacturer-specific sponsorship requests from November through February and consider other requests throughout the year. We accept sponsors who are spey-specific or in some way related to speycasting or fishing. However, anyone who has abused the site will not be considered.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Thanks Dana,

We should no judge people prematurely and lets hope that if a reel or rod manufacturer become sponsor of this site, other members will not use it as a opportunity for out of balance advertisement, which may have noting to do with a sponsor.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
bolen said:
Thanks Dana,

We should no judge people prematurely and lets hope that if a reel or rod manufacturer become sponsor of this site, other members will not use it as a opportunity for out of balance advertisement, which may have noting to do with a sponsor.
Most of our sponsors keep a watch on the site as it gives them feedback on their products. Sometimes people go over the top with either negative or positive stuff, and both of these sorts of posts can reflect very badly on a business. Speypages sponsors are quick to act on any concerns that appear on this site because they value and respect the Spey community.

We encourage our sponsors to promote their products and services on the Speypages, but we also caution them about over-doing it. Often the people who hijack threads or find other ways to continually promote a product are in some way associated with that product and we expect that they will make their associations known to the rest of us. Most do; some don't. I believe that Speypages readers can easily distinguish between legit discussion and spam, and I think they base their opinions and purchases on the sort of things they see on the site.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Dana, I have to disagree on this one, and publicly at that. You and the mods can have your way with this post as you see fit.

I just searched the archives, and the most recent Salmo post about Danielsson was in January, 8 months ago, and pretty damn mild. Now perhaps I missed a post of his somewhere, or maybe they have been deleted all along, and yes I'm tired of him spouting the same old story, but there isn't the evidence that he is taking "any and every opportunity" to express his opinion on this one on these here pages. The perception and reality don't mesh. There are orders-of-magnitude greater unsolicted recommendations for other products, of sponsors and non-sponsors alike (you know who you are), than Salmo plugging Danielsson reels.

and for the record, I don't know Salmo, and I find his shilling as annoying as all the other shilling that goes on here. It is all low-class b.s. as far as I am concerned.

I've been here since the beginning - you know that - and hope the best for the site. But IMO some things aren't in the best interest.

sincerely,

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
SSPey said:
Dana, I have to disagree on this one, and publicly at that.
And Steve, you know of course that no one is allowed to disagree with me, especially long-time clavers like yourself, and especially not publicly. Not even sponsors are allowed to disagree with me.:)

The guys at Ross will be loving this of course since "Ross Reels" has been front and center on the tackle board as a result. I think maybe Steve, me, sinktip, bolen, salmo and everyone else on this thread are secretly part of the Ross Reels marketing team.Talk about free advertising for a non-sponsor!:chuckle:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
bolen said:
My friend who owns Fly Shop would be interested to sponsor this side. Do you have any specific timeframe you accept requests
is that how you manage to always be selling brand new merchandise in the classifieds at a price that reflects the dealer's cost???????

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
is that how you manage to always be selling brand new merchandise in the classifieds at a price that reflects the dealer's cost???????

DANG! I've got to pay closer attention to the 'want adds.':hihi: After all, Joan not withstanding, I have my WANTS AND NEEDS!

·
Banned
974 Posts
Ummm, can I ask a Ross question? :eek:

JR Spey, I heard that the new reels are substantially heavier, in the Tibor weight range. Did you get a chance to hold the new reels? And, how does rulon hold up in when cold?

Thanks,
David

G

·
Dornblaser, the weights have, indeed, increased. The #4 went from 7.3oz to 9.3oz, the #5 from 8oz to 9.8oz. All the rest of the models went up just under 2oz per reel. This is according to the Ross catalog. The reels are clamped down in their booth at the show and since I am not a Ross dealer and have no desire to be one, I didn't waste their saleman's time to have him show me one. I'll get plenty of chances to do that in another week or so at the local fly shop. Those weights do place them into the Tibor range.

Rulon should be fine for cold water/weather use. Orvis has used it for years in the DXR models and others, and they don't seem to have any unusual amount of trouble with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ross Canyon

I recently also found out the the Canyon was being discontinued and that Ross has allowed the dealers to set prices for remaining Canyons that are still instock at a 25% discount price. So if you always wanted a Canyon get it now at a savings. I am not sure if all the dealers are doing this or not after all they did not get a 25% discount from Ross when they got the reels for stock.

G

·
Actually, there have been a few dealers that have offered them at more than 25% off. There are so few available, however, that many dealers are doing 25% or even less. Ross has been out of stock for several months on all the sizes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts