Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Last fall in Baja I was in the middle of a wideopen yellowfin, skippy, and dorado bite. Wave after wave of fish. I fell in the panga's bait tank, hurt like a mutherhubbard, but sprang up, grabbed another rod and kept fishing. Left the rod and reel in the tank. It was a canyon BG. after fifteen minutes or so pulled it out of the tank, and it wouldn't free spool anymore (you know what I mean by freespool). According to the owner it still doesn't.

This in NO WAY hurt the fishability of the reel. The lowest drag settings were and still are absolutely smooth, but the reel was permanently affected.

Would I buy one? probably not for a variety of reasons. Would I talk someone out of one? Nope. But what do I know, I fish a vortex in the surf :hehe:

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey Natrix

The grease is "Phil Woods" ?

Tackle prep and maintenance is big. I recall a post earlier on Abel reels and one guy who owns them, but won't use them for steelhead because he has drag problems when the reels get wet.

He knows they require maintenance, but chooses not to oil the cork, and knows that the result will be an undependable drag, so he doesn't use the reel. That's his choice, and more power to him, but as you pointed out, it doesn't make the Abel a bad reel.

As to field maintenance there are three rules:

1. Have the tools and parts you might need on your person or in a close vehicle

2. NEVER work on a reel when you are around sand

3. Never work on a reel whe you are around sand :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts