Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Sierra Trading Post store in town and they just had an after holiday extra savings on selected close out items. One item was a Ross Reach 6126 spey rod for $165 bucks. I grabbed it and just gave it test run at the local pond. Used a 400 grain Elixir scandi & 10 ft. polyleader. Seemed to cast very smooth, a moderate action with a pretty crisp light feel. Decent cork, nice fit and finish and perfect ferrule fit. I like it. Any Ross rod fans out there?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agree very nice price point rod. The switch rods are great too. I believe they went out of production when Ross sold to SA.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I read an Orvis announcement that they aquired SA and Ross. Will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe if I break my Ross I'll get an Orvis Clearwater replacement. Or more likely any previous warranty is void.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ross is now owned by the Mayfly Group who also owns Abel Reels.

I have a couple TH and a couple SH rods and like them all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You got a heck of a deal, they're nice rods. I've had the 7 weight switch for a couple years now and I like it more than a lot of the higher dollar rods I've cast

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
Agreed!

I'm a huge fan of Ross rods. Their SH rods are a great value too. The 6126 is a great rod and has the look and feel that you have described Moonlighter, but IMO the 7119 switch is by far the best in the lineup. I wouldn't trade mine for a rod costing twice as much. I certainly wouldn't be happy with an Orvis Clearwater as a replacement if I ever break it.

So what exactly is the deal now that ownership of Ross has changed? Is the Reach rod line still in production (I see they are still up on their website)? How will the warranty be honoured if they aren't? Does anyone know?

Larry

·
Registered
879 Posts
Alright, gents...you guys (especially the good Dr. Bob) convinced me to buy the 7119. Just put the STP order in... can't wait to fish it!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Good call on the 7119, Pork.

Like Dr.Bob, I'm a 7119 groupie, a recent convert.

This rod has become my favored winter rod. It is delicious with a 450 Compact Skagit. Will handle bigger fish, too.

I fished the 6113 much of last summer with a 365 gr. Scandi.....and it convinced me to buy the bigger brother.

Great switchers that are easy to cast, light, responsive and easy on the budget.

I may buy another 7119.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 7119 handles everything I've tried with it, I may have it a bit overlined with a 480 Skagit extreme, but it will throw 10' of t14 to just about anywhere I need it on the rivers I fish here in Ohio. I bought mine from a buddy who fished it for about 3 days and went back to his center pins because he hadn't caught anything on the swing yet.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was pretty happy throwing the 13'4 8# with an Airflow 570 Skagit. To be honest, I bought it for a buddy and after "test" casting it, didn't want to give it up......lol

For the money, its a dam good rod!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I used the 7119 for the first time today. Great rod! It's a lot lighter than I expected it to be. I paired it with a Danielsson L5W 6nine and a 380 gr. Vision Ace F/I Scandi head. Nice set up...very pleasant to fish. What a deal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the 7119 as well. It is awesome. Faster action and powerful, but easy to cast. Landed a few decent fish with no issues. I tend to prefer slower rods, but they just don't handle the wind very well... thus my interest in this rod.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ditto on other models...

I was fortunate enough to cast a bunch of Ross steelhead rods that were really finely tuned with SA lines courtesy of a pro staff for ross...and there wasnt one that wasnt very sweet,,,,and frankly tuned properly made sage look like not much of a relative value.

Sierra Trading does have cool deals...I bought my wife an 8134 for around $200 last fall and Bruce Berry helped me with a Beulah line and set up and it casts like a dream....my wife wants it back...

There are a lot of good rods out there, but for the price these are the stars, especially when tuned and set up perfectly.....always like blue too...!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts