Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my chance to get both of these reels for less than what the actual retail price is. Was wondering opinions on them. What reel has a better drag ultimatley and is more adpated to spey fishing. I know the Ross is 4 oz lighter, but I need to know what reel would be a better buy. Backing is not an issue, my custom lines for the Great Lakes will fit equally well on both models. I am using the reel on a Orvis TL 12' 6" 8wt that weighs under 8oz. The Ross would seem to balance better, but I wouldn't mind the vortex either. Also, what has a lower statrup inertia? The reason I ask is I never got to play around with a ross. Oh yeah, does Ross have spools that can be removed easily?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ross

I have a couple of the Ross BG Canyons and love them. They are without a doubt one of the best reels on the market. I can not speak for the Orvis Vortex as I have only seen them in the Orvis shop. Never got the chance to fish with them. Changing spools is a breeze on the Ross BG's even on the water however I dont ever recommend trying it with any reel! The drag is exceptional and once you get it dialed in the startup inertia is very good. I would highly recommend the Ross BG's to anyone who is willing to buy one even at suggested retail prices. I use them on a couple one handers as well as my 7wt spey. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm....

Yeah, I really like the Ross reels but do love the vortex as well!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would second what ChromeFever said. I have both the BG 7 and the BG8 and they are awesome reels. Great drags with good capacity. The BG 6 will not take a long belly line. I put the 7 XLT on my 7 and it took all the space with some room for backing. The 8 barely took the 9/10 xlt with specton backing

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah....

Yeah, I firgured I wouldn't be able to get a long belly line on it. In the Great Lakes, you never usually make cast over 80'. I use a series of lines that I customize to my liking. With the line I have plenty of backing.

Maybe I should go with the ross!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have the BG Canyon 7 and would not trade it for anything (unless I start throwing long belly lines which is still a year or so away skill wise ).

The vortex is in my opinion just too heavy. I am also not of the belief you need to balance your spey rod on the cork. I will take a light outfit over a heavy one anyday.

Ross also has outstanding customer service.

-sean

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah....

After seeing all the reviews and hearing how well they performed, I found a dealer that sold me 4....1 of each #4, #5, #6 and #7...saved over $600.

I am set. The 6 and 7 will be adequete for spey lines(my custom lines) and the 5 will be good for my smaller spey, and for salt and heavy salmon, while the 4 is perfect for steelhead on my single handers plus bonefishing and permit when I visit the flats this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts