Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to match a Ross Big Game to a 14' 9 weight spey rod. I'm having a tough time deciding between the BG 7 and BG 8. I'll initially have a windcutter on it, but also see myself going to a midspey in the future. Does anybody have an opinion on which reel would be the better match?

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
In the spey world bigger is usually better when it comes to reels.

Get the BG8 which will balance well and give you enough capacity for mid belly lines. I have the 7 and only ever use it for big shooting heads and windcutters. I can just fit an 8/9 midspey with adequate backing on it unless I use gelspun.

-sean

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
have the BG-7....

on my Sage 9140-4 greenie... Casting the 8/9/10 windcutter with tips and Airflo's Delta Long (65' head - mid-spey head length equivelant) on BG-7 spools, with 200+yds of 30lb dacron backing... no problem fitting either lines on there. if you're willing to spend the extra money, can't go wrong with the BG-8, and will certainly have plenty of room, but even the BG-7 will work for you.... note, the differences in taper, etc. may allow me to fit the Delta long in the 8/9, while i wouldn't be able to fit Rio's mid-spey in the 8/9, at least with the amount of backing... something to think about... still, I think if you can get 175 yds of backing on there, you should be fine, unless you're talking about BIG waters like the Thompson, etc....
The BG-7 balances the 9140 well to... and yes, i'm talking about the balance on the swing!!! :eek: :chuckle: :chuckle:
feiger

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have both the BG 7 and 8 and if you ever want to go to a long belly line you will most certainly need the 8. I have a 9/10 xlt on the 8 and had to go to gelspun. On the 7 I have the xlt 7/8 and close to 200 yds of 30#.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts