Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy a Roots Original Dubbing machine?

My son wants one for his birthday, and the company is apparently out of business.

I believe that the Root family lives in Canada.

If I can find one via the Spey Clave, I will make a donation to the Clave.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carl

It is a machine built into a wooden holder that has pegs and twists the dubbing onto wire.

It makes beautiful flie, They are very sturdy, and big fish seem to like them.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Try this; web site appears 'down,' but the phone #, etc., is below.

Root's Fly Tying Products
1362 Cornwall St.
Kamloops
BC, Canada V2B 2T4
877-779-2179 250-376-8753
Fax: 250-376-6147
[email protected] , [email protected]
www.rootsoriginal.com
Root's Fly Tying Products Ltd. is the inventor, manufacturer and distributor of the Root's Original Dubbing Machine Kit-Model 2001TK. This kit contains everything you need to create a massive variety of industry unique, super strong, stainless steel wire core dubbing brushes, from 1/64th' wide, to in excess of 6' in width. These brushes are used as the main body component, in the construction of an endless variety of 'Bullet Proof' and nearly indestructible fishing flies. From trout to billfish the possibilities are limited only by your creative imagination.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Dubbing brushes

If you strike out on the Roots Dubbing Machine, you may want to check out the Nor-Vice system. ALec Jackson is a big fan of the Nor-Vice and making his own dubbing brushes.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred re Roots Dubbing Brush Machine

There are no responses and the emails are returned undelivered.

Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD re Norvise

He used to have a brush attachment for his vise. However, my son has a lot of money and experience invested in the Dyna King Baracuda and wants the free standing brush machine.

There is a new one on the market that looks pretty good to me. I may just buy it for myself.

Thanks for your reply.

Dave

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Re: Fred re Roots Dubbing Brush Machine

Grampa Spey said:
There are no responses and the emails are returned undelivered.

Thanks for trying.
Was the land line phone out too?
fae

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just for reference,

Grandpa Spey, which one are you interested in? I have been thinking about one for a while now, but don't know what's available.

Thanks, BobK

·
Registered
439 Posts
Roots machine

Try River City Fly Shop in Beaverton OR 503 579 5176. He has a lot of the materials made by roots for the machine also.
Norlander has come out with new cam lock jaws for there vice worth a look.
Good luck,
Leroy.......................

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
River City is also holding a CND Spey Demo day on June 21st. River City is on Scholls Ferry Rd. in Beaverton OR just outside of Portland. This is a great chance to test out one of these new high-performance spey rods. I will post more information in the clave section FYI.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob K re the dubbing machine

My son wants the Roots Machine. It has an electric motor, and that appeals to him being a boss of engineers.

He has used the Roots somewhere and really likes it.

If we can find two, I will order one. This machine makes great salmon/steelhead flies and with minimal work.

What is funny and ironic is that Llama wool is one of the best dubbings with these machines. 10 years ago, when I got back into flyfishing, a friend had several Llamas, and he donated some of their discarded wool/fur. I made some ugly leeches and something like a wooly worm and tried them about a year later. They worked quite good. When I asked for more Llama wool, I discovered my friend had gotten tired of raising them and sold his herd.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Found one for you....

Hi Grampa Spey....Jake here. Found a roots machine for you. Its listed on the BC Adventure network forum. Heres the link...hope he still has it. Tell him Paul Jacobsen from the forum sent you.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/forums/Forum10/HTML/000745.html

Best regards.....jake

Sorry forgot the mention....click on the envelope icon above the posting for the fellows e-mail address.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re the Roots Machine

Thanks, I have sent your friend an email to see if it is still available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts